Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about pantos >

Question about pantos

Question about pantos

Old 07-20-2011, 01:02 PM

My stupid question of the day - what is pantos and how are they used. I am getting a frame for my Viking Mega quilter soon and wonder if they are something I can use. Do I have to have any other special equipment? I am really new to FMQ.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

you would need a laser light attached to the machine or the carriage for you to follow the panto design.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

A panto, short for pantograph, is a pattern that lays on your table that you follow with a laser light to make a repeat pattern on your quilt. You follow the panto pattern and the machine sews the pattern into the quilt as you do this.

I don't know anything about the viking mega so I can't help with whether they are usable with your set up. I'm sure someone on the board will know.
peace :D
Old 07-20-2011, 03:33 PM

Take a look at my shortarm setup. I have a picture of how my pantograph system works. My shelf is over the top of my frame, but many have a shelf down behind the machine. Both types use a laser light as a stylus to follow the pattern.

Here's my posting:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-138660-1.htm

I find it a very effective and efficient way to do quilting motifs. Easy to follow and you get good coverage.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:39 PM

Great question! I find myself hesitant to use pantos with my LA just because I am not sure how, so thanks for asking. :thumbup:
Old 07-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Banned

I love doing pantographs -- they take a bit of practice to get good at them, but once you know a pattern well, you can do an entire quilt in fairly short order.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by rivka
I love doing pantographs -- they take a bit of practice to get good at them, but once you know a pattern well, you can do an entire quilt in fairly short order.
Bread and butter! Pantographs are so incredibly wonderful! An artist has made these beautiful line designs that are so easy to follow! Each quilt is still individualized even though you may use the pantograph pattern over and over!

Today I sewed a pattern called Reverse Hearts on a baby quilt. It looks totally different on the baby quilt in pink than it did on a different heart print fabric in red. :-)
Old 07-20-2011, 04:21 PM

A few weeks ago, I posted some questions about LA quilting - not because I want to do it, but because I want to understand what I am asking of the talented folks who do it for me.

Somebody suggested I check youtube for LAQ videos... Don't know why, but I never thought of that! You might find what you are looking for there, too.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:51 PM

When I got my Viking Mega quilter, it came with several pantos. Just need to copy, tape together, & away you go.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Jim

we have a stylus to follow the pattern on the pantograph instead of a laser light on our quilting machine