Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question about piecing larger blocks together >

question about piecing larger blocks together

question about piecing larger blocks together

Old 12-30-2013, 12:02 PM

Default question about piecing larger blocks together

I'm making my first big (queen sized) quilt. I'm trying to be very precise and consistent with my seams. When it comes time to sew my big (16 in) blocks together, is there a better way than just sewing in rows, then sewing rows together?
Old 12-30-2013, 12:10 PM

I was taught to sew the blocks together into rows and then add the rows together is sections. ie: if you have 12 rows, then sew 3 rows together, then add 2 sections of 3 together - now you have 2 sections of 6 and they go together last.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:29 PM

Regardless of block/quilt size, I sew my blocks into rows and then just sew the rows together one by one. I don't particularly worry about making sections of rows. It might be easier to do it that way if you're dealing with alot of bulk/weight but ultimately you're going to have to sew the sections into one big quilt top anyhow. Just my thoughts.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:43 PM

Some will sew in quadrants ... for example a quilt of 8 blocks x 8 blocks they will sew 4 sets of 4 blocks together then join them.

Some quilts almost define themselves as to the easiest way to join the blocks (bargello as a prime example, mixed size block sampler as another), but most can be done any way as long as you are consistent.

After you join sets (whether it be an entire row, or quadrants), measure during each step. So two rows of 16" (finished size) blocks joined together should measure 32.5". 3 rows will measure 48.5 - etc.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:49 PM
DJ

I've sewn a king size (+) quilt together with 18" blocks, just row-by-row. It turned out great. I think any other sectioning would work well, too.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

I sew the blocks together to make the shortest rows (which is usually the width of the quilt). I then sew the rows together into the quilt top.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:13 PM

I sew vertical rows together. Keep them in chains and then sew the horizontal rows together. Because I don't clip the threads on the vertical chains, it seems to help me match things up better on the horizontal.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Regardless of block/quilt size, I sew my blocks into rows and then just sew the rows together one by one. I don't particularly worry about making sections of rows. It might be easier to do it that way if you're dealing with alot of bulk/weight but ultimately you're going to have to sew the sections into one big quilt top anyhow. Just my thoughts.
I do the same thing. Sew the blocks into rows, then attach the rows together. I use small leftover fabrics to make labels with numbers for each block so that nothing gets misplaced !!
Attached Thumbnails numbers.jpg  
Old 12-30-2013, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
I sew vertical rows together. Keep them in chains and then sew the horizontal rows together. Because I don't clip the threads on the vertical chains, it seems to help me match things up better on the horizontal.
This is how I do it - Eleanor Burns does it this way too, at least the shows that I've watched.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:22 PM

I use the quadrant method...four blocks together to make a big block. Then i join all the big blocks. I seem to be able to match things up better this way. When i sew in rows it seems something is always off. Jo in NC