Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about sewing blocks together >

Question about sewing blocks together

Question about sewing blocks together

Old 09-29-2010, 03:52 PM

I know this is so simple for you - it still just scares me....
I want to try a simple charm square quilt - just the 5" blocks sewn together. Is this what I do?----- just lay out the squares so I know what to sew to what, then do two together and then sew those together to make one large square? and make a bunch of those and sew those together the same way - or???? :shock:
Old 09-29-2010, 03:58 PM

You sew one row of blocks together making sure all the seams are pressed in the same direction. Then sew the next row together making sure all the seams are pressed in the opposite direction of the first row. You continue in this fashion until your rows are all sewn. Then you sew the rows together. This is when the seams will butt up to each other and your corners will match. Have fun.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:59 PM

I would lay them out to see what they look like. When you get them arranged like you want, sew them in rows, then sew rows together. Press so the seams are opposing so there is less bulk in corners when sewn together
Old 09-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

i think this was just squares sewn together.
yep this is one. larger squares but just squares. I do charms now too!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-114036.jpe  
Old 09-29-2010, 04:14 PM

Sew them, as mentioned above, using a fourth inch seam.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wvdek
You sew one row of blocks together making sure all the seams are pressed in the same direction. Then sew the next row together making sure all the seams are pressed in the opposite direction of the first row. You continue in this fashion until your rows are all sewn. Then you sew the rows together. This is when the seams will butt up to each other and your corners will match. Have fun.
This is how I do it also.. I pin a whole row together and sew and press. Then I go to the next row.

I then sew the rows together into pairs. Then the pairs together, continuing until I just have the two halves left to sew together, (still pressing after each row is sewn) :wink:
Old 09-29-2010, 04:27 PM

If you are hand-piecing (don't know that you are, since most do it by machine) I find it easier to start at the center and add the squares around each side, then stairstep around the diamond created thus. If this doesn't make sense, PM me and I'll go into more detail.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:32 PM

I never sew a quilt together row by row. Sew the whole top into pairs. Then sew the pairs into big four patches and so on until you have the top sew into quarters. Then sew the top half together and the bottom half together and then the top half to the bottom half. You only have one long seam. You only have half the quilt on the sewing machine twice and you only have the whole thing on the machine once.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I never sew a quilt together row by row. Sew the whole top into pairs. Then sew the pairs into big four patches and so on until you have the top sew into quarters. Then sew the top half together and the bottom half together and then the top half to the bottom half. You only have one long seam. You only have half the quilt on the sewing machine twice and you only have the whole thing on the machine once.
This is how I thought it was done - I'm afraid if I make rows, that if I have one off, then that will throw the whole row off.... this way it would be less apparent, or I thought, anyway.

Funny though that there are differences - I guess there is no right or wrong way then! But I should iron the seams in the different directions... although I'm wondering how that works if done into squares instead of rows.... maybe it will be more apparent when I start. Thank you!!
Old 09-29-2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
This is how I thought it was done - I'm afraid if I make rows, that if I have one off, then that will throw the whole row off.... this way it would be less apparent, or I thought, anyway.

Funny though that there are differences - I guess there is no right or wrong way then! But I should iron the seams in the different directions... although I'm wondering how that works if done into squares instead of rows.... maybe it will be more apparent when I start. Thank you!!
I iron my seams in opposite directions. It's harder to remember which way to iron the seams when you do it this way. I finally bought the directional straight pins made by Fons and Porter to keep track of which way they go. You can get the pins at JoAnn's.