Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question about quilt guilds on social media >

question about quilt guilds on social media

question about quilt guilds on social media

Old 09-15-2018, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by ArlaJo View Post
I would like to join a guild but I'm not an extrovert and even though the LQS where I shop, chat and quilt have people that belong to guilds, no one has ever ask me to join or visit. Sometimes maybe a simple verbal invite would bring in members.
When joining groups, I've found you pretty much have to be pro-active. Next time you are chatting with a member, ask her about the guild. Tell her you're interested. Then GO.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:15 AM

I live in a large city. A couple of years ago, an employee of a fabric store gave me a bookmark that was laminated and had a nearby quilt guild info on it. It was a surburban group that I had never thought of that was closer to me than the city group. I keep meaning to go visit, but haven't.

It was a good idea and I still have the bookmark. It has a nice photo of GFG done in orange, white and gingham to match.

bkay
Old 09-15-2018, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

All the guilds I belong to have websites. Part of it is public and the member section is private. The websites cost so much a year, a good secure one is not free. You also need someone to be webmaster. An out of date website is useless.
The best way to get new members is to be active in community events. Set up a table at all possible venues and pass out info, have a display of quilts, and be enthusiastic and happy to be there. I see so many groups sitting at their info table looking bored, sullen, and just sit there while the people walk by. Have a simple make and take item or at least the how-to written up to give away. We demo yo yos, folded coasters, self mitering blocks, have the pillowcase in each part of construction to show. We always have interest when we set up a table and have gotten quiet a few new members over the years .
Old 09-15-2018, 05:46 PM

I belong to two guilds that both have FB pages. One used Yahoo groups but none of us could ever get it to work right. The one Guild opted for an open page--meaning all of us can post on it. The other has a closed page and only those designated as administrators can actually new posts (but anyone can reply or comment). Both use the page to encourage new memberships, tell about events, and remind about meeting. Having just been added as an admin on the one so I could promote an upcoming show, I would say it's worth it based on the amount of re-posts so far.

One thing I would add--when you have a closed, admin only page your guild must have someone(s) that are willing to frequent post and tag people. And when that person no longer wants to be in that position, then you need to make a way for them to "hand off" the job graciously.

We do not publish any one person's identifying information.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:28 PM

Our guild has just grown with word of mouth and invitation to other quilters we know. They come as visitors and many then join. Ours has grown to 110-115 and as life happens some with not renew their membership, some die, some move but it has stayed at about that number. We have only a facebook page and that is to show our quilts, no names and our newsletter is emailed and snail mail to those that do not use email, (we still have some that don't).
Old 09-15-2018, 07:42 PM

Ours also has a closed and private FBpage. But no personal information is posted on it. It makes communications about the meetings really easy.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:48 AM

Having lived in many different cities, I just "show up" to a guild meeting; I do not wait to be invited. If I don't feel welcome after a meeting or two, I move on. I think one musr be pro-active.