Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Question About Quilt Size >

A Question About Quilt Size

A Question About Quilt Size

Old 12-13-2014, 08:01 AM

Check her bridal registry if she has one. You may be able to find bed size, colors and styles she likes without ruining the surprise
Old 12-13-2014, 08:04 AM

Check her bridal registry. It should tell bed size, colors and styles
Old 12-13-2014, 03:13 PM

I personally don't make bed quilts but rather make snuggle up on the couch quilts. They are bigger than a lap quilt. I find them more useful than a bed quilt. If I want extra warmth on a bed then I use those quilts on top of everything as they are generally big enough to fit on the top of a bed but not hang down. If she is going to use it as a bedspread then you would need to know what kind of bed they are going to have but bed size quilts can be quite cumbersome for every day snuggle use. I think it depends on how she might use the quilt.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:23 PM

I have made oversized queens for wedding gifts, birthday or just because and no you do not have to match the bedroom decore use colors you know appeal to her and it will be fine it can be used under the coverlet or bedspread and does not have to be the display piece. But it will be pretty and keep them warm.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
I personally don't make bed quilts but rather make snuggle up on the couch quilts. They are bigger than a lap quilt. I find them more useful than a bed quilt. If I want extra warmth on a bed then I use those quilts on top of everything as they are generally big enough to fit on the top of a bed but not hang down. If she is going to use it as a bedspread then you would need to know what kind of bed they are going to have but bed size quilts can be quite cumbersome for every day snuggle use. I think it depends on how she might use the quilt.
I am so grateful for your post as this seems to have enlightened me and relieved the stress that I have been feeling all day over this quilt. I agree with the huge king size. It is a bit overwhelming and difficult to store when not in use. I believe that I am going to go with a queen size and let it go at that. She will love it and will use it somewhere somehow in her home. I believe that knowing her, she will just love it because I made it for them and she will cherish it no matter what. Having said that, I am going to go ahead with my plan and believe it will just be fine. Thank you for your candid and caring post. It really did help me over that hurtle that I was stuck on.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Billi View Post
I have made oversized queens for wedding gifts, birthday or just because and no you do not have to match the bedroom decore use colors you know appeal to her and it will be fine it can be used under the coverlet or bedspread and does not have to be the display piece. But it will be pretty and keep them warm.
Thank you, Billi. I have decided to go ahead with a queen size. Also, have to be cognizant of the size of my LA quilter's frame. This will work all the way around and I so appreciate your candid input and down to earth attitude. Phew! Onward and upward, as they say. Thank you.