Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about quilting to edge... >

Question about quilting to edge...

Question about quilting to edge...

Old 10-10-2016, 12:53 PM

Default Question about quilting to edge...

I want to do a triangle pattern of FMQ on the last border of my quilt and I want the points to end (of course) at the binding.
Where do I mark the points to end at? 1/4" from the edge? A little in from the 1/4"?
And, should I square the quilt before I start marking and quilting the last border?

I'd hate to chop off all my points or conversely, have space between all my points and the binding.

Watson
Old 10-10-2016, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

I think you answered your own question about squaring first. Either cut to final square up size, or mark the final size on the fabric. Look at one of your finished quilts to see where your binding ends up from the edge of the quilt. I would back it up about 1/8". Personally I would rather have the points be a tiny bit shy than cut them off. Sounds interesting, please post a photo of your completed quilt!
Old 10-10-2016, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

I just did a quilt where I didn't want my heart border to be cut off when I put on the binding. I quilted the body of the quilt, I laid the quilt flat and squared the it with my 15 inch square and my rulers and used my Frixion pen to draw the squared lines. I then measured in 1/4 inch from the Frixion line and marked a chalk line. I stayed about 1/8 inch from that chalk line when I did the quilting. After quilting I cut off the extra fabric on my Fruxion pen marks and sewed on my binding.
P.S. If you are using your sewing machine to quilt, do not cut off the extra fabric until AFTER you have quilted the border as the extra fabric gives you something to hold onto to move the quilt.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:19 AM

I wouldn't square up by cutting because your quilting in the border itself will change the square a bit. I would probably mark the binding line as squared up based on your last border seam and stay about 1/8-1/4 inch inside it like Tartan said.

I am actually almost at this spot on a queen sized quilt and trying to decide my quilting pattern. I am thinking of marking inside by 1-2 inches, quilting my feathers/swirls, then doing a row of pebbles and then something outside that to cut off..... Or I may just feather and try to stay close to the binding edge.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:30 AM

I may not be quite understanding your question but here's what I'd do. Square up the quilt and apply the binding. Now do the design in the border. There's a little more bulk because of the thickness of the binding but you will know what the workable border space is.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:05 AM

Leave a little for wiggle room. A little float is much better than cut-off points.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:20 AM

Looking forward to seeing the quilt!