Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about quilting feathers

I've searched and read quite a bit but haven't really had my question answered yet. I would like to do some feathers so bought a stencil to work with until I get use to it. My question is does each plume start and stop or do they continue end to end until you've reached the end of where you want them?

Blog Entries
    Are you doing them by hand of machine? Feathers scare me. I keep trying them, but they never look like I want them do.

I'll be doing them by machine. They look so pretty and am ready to take that next step and do something other than meandering.

Find some finished quilts online, and see if they are feathered, and if they are, make the picture bigger and you can see the
    answer to your question.

Just a suggestion.

Blog Entries
    machine quilting we tend to make lines as continuous as possible- as few starts stops as possible- so they are done from start to finish= there are a number of good tutorials-videos showing different ways to make feathers- do a search of 'machine quilting feathers' to see different ways they are shaped - done

i do them as one continuous many times that means back tracking in some way on the design.

Blog Entries
    I quilt feathers in several different ways. I think if you post which stencil you purchased it would be much easier to answer your specific question.

Blog Entries
    if done by machine, they would be continuous. i could not get the backtracking to look good, though. so i have tried a technique i've seen that leaves a narrow space between the plumes

Check this one for "hooked" feathers - machine-quilted, continuous, no backtracking over already quilted lines.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-36855-1.htm

There's a whole book "Hooked on Feathers", but I reckon you could probably figure out how it goes purely by looking at the pictures in the post I linked.

I quilt on a LA so I always try to make a plume continuous. I do a lot of backtracking on mine but there are ways to not have to backtrack over an already quilted line. If you are doing them on a domestic machine I highly recommend getting one of Diane Gaudinski's books on machine quilting. She does beautiful feathers and has loads of hints.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by salmonsweet
    Check this one for "hooked" feathers - machine-quilted, continuous, no backtracking over already quilted lines.

There's a whole book "Hooked on Feathers", but I reckon you could probably figure out how it goes purely by looking at the pictures in the post I linked.
    The book is nice though, because she shows many variations on the feathers.

MTS
    Banned
    Diane Gaudynski recently had a great post on how she makes feathers:
    http://dianegaudynski.blogspot.com/

And I recently viewed some great Patsy Thompson videos online on free-form feathers (spine vs. no spine), but I can't locate where I saw them. :roll:
    They're out there somewhere. ;-)

Here's her blog (and her DVD's are great):
    http://www.patsythompsondesigns.com/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I quilt feathers in several different ways. I think if you post which stencil you purchased it would be much easier to answer your specific question.
    This isn't the exact one but it's close. See how one end is smaller? What I can't figure out is how to go from one to another if they aren't joined somehow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you mean from one end of the feather to the other end or from one feather to the other? I don't think the two different feathers are necessarily meant to be quilted together. You can stencil one or the other and shift them according to the space you are quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by redpurselady
    Do you mean from one end of the feather to the other end or from one feather to the other? I don't think the two different feathers are necessarily meant to be quilted together. You can stencil one or the other and shift them according to the space you are quilting.
    I mean do you connect one feather to the next? I know these are 2 different designs and not meant to be put together but they were on the same stencil.

Blog Entries
    I think I am really mental today--I am not sure if I understand the question. If you going from one complete plume of feathers to the next, I will sometimes echo my plume to the point where I want to start another plume--then finish my echo when my plumes are finished. You could also just cut your thread at the end of each plume and begin again. It would be a lot of starting and stopping, but you could do it. Or if you are going to do another design between the plume of feathers, you can do part of this design until you reach where you want your next plume--do the plume and then finish the other design.
    Does this make any sense at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I think I am really mental today--I am not sure if I understand the question. If you going from one complete plume of feathers to the next, I will sometimes echo my plume to the point where I want to start another plume--then finish my echo when my plumes are finished. You could also just cut your thread at the end of each plume and begin again. It would be a lot of starting and stopping, but you could do it. Or if you are going to do another design between the plume of feathers, you can do part of this design until you reach where you want your next plume--do the plume and then finish the other design.
    Does this make any sense at all?
    I think I understand. You don't have to connect the plumes if you don't want to. Right?

Blog Entries
    http://featheredfibers.wordpress.com...hand-feathers/

Not sure if this link answers your question. I also learned through stencils. I drew the design on muslin with an ink pen for practice. Over and over and over. Once you practice practice practice, hopefully you will get comfortable doing them and you may end up with your own technique. My feathers have parts of the plume and the stem with backtracking. I am now used to the look, as some areas are more prominent than others with the double stitching, and most areas do not have it. When the feather is done, I think the double stitching (backtracking) really stands out and adds to the design. But not always. I too would love to be able to sew these things without the backtracking. To get the look of single stitching, I stop my machine, back stitch 2 stitches, cut the threads, and move to the next area. Works and looks just fine to me.
    Leah Day is terrific also. So many designs, so much talent.

Blog Entries
    Wow... thanks lasies for all of the reccomendations... i will be practicing up a storm now... thanks again. this site is great..

Quote Originally Posted by salmonsweet

Thanks for this link, it was an ah-hah moment for me.

There are a number of videos on YouTube showing how to quilt feathers. Sharon Schamber is a good teacher.

Blog Entries
    I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!! Thank you all for the tips....

search the net for Linda Taylor free videos for feathers...I think there are some on you-tube

Found this on Youtube and it answered my question as to how to connect the plumes. It says to stitch the stem for the next plume between two of the existing feathers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDV70Yu5LSo

Want to thank everyone for their suggestions! :-)

besides watching dvds, reading books you must do some doodling........that is if you are going to machine feather.....here is an easy beginnning.....with pencil draw a curved line, do not remove pencil from paper, but on one side of line only, draw half of a heart to stem (line you first drew), then go back out with another half heart.....you are starting at the top of feather so make them slightly larger (if you want to) as you move down. When you get to bottom of that line, go back up that line to top again, and do the other side of that line with the other half of the heart--they don't have to line up evenly, be a bit free with it and you don't try to stay on the line of each finished one, keep a bit of space between these half hearts.....doing it with a pencil or pen and paper embeds it into your brain and then translating it to the movement with the sewing machine is an easier transition. After feeling safe with that excercise, go to a heart, circle, or whatever and just keep making half hearts. Then, further down the road, try different techniques of making feathers, and find one that works the best for you...or like me, whatever works for whatever it is I am doing. It will not happen in a day, or even a week, so be patient with yourself, and keep practicing.
    Now if you are talking about hand quilting that is entirely a different technique........that involves "traveling" to the next spot........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast