Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about scrappy quilts >

Question about scrappy quilts

Question about scrappy quilts

Old 12-24-2015, 02:12 PM

I don't think I would mix flannel with quilting cotton in a scrap quilt, but it sounds like others do. I certainly have mixed differing weights (thread counts) of cotton with good results.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:16 PM

I keep like scraps together, and any small pieces are cut 2 & 1/2" by however wide. When I get a small handful, I start sewing them into my own jelly rolls. Once I have a good sized "jelly roll", I use it to make my own pre-quilted fabric for small projects. I just sew it onto batting and a piece of backing, then cut out small projects like cell phone pockets to hang around the neck to keep it close, but not risk dropping it, and use extra lengths of binding to finish the top edges. Some pieces on my jelly rolls might only be 1" wide, but it just gives a crazy quilt look. I always have someone who needs a little pocket, bag, wallet, Barbie doll quilt, etc. I also use small scraps of batting for these. Here is one I made for DD to hold her cell phone in, in her purse to protect it from other "purse dwellers".
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 12-26-2015, 05:39 AM

I started cutting a lot of my scraps into 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2, 3 inch and so on. I saved mixed greens containers from the produce dept. and have them nicely lined up on a shelf. When I was making charity place mats for Meals on Wheels, I just grabbed a handful of already cut squares and sewed them together randomly. What I like about the size increments is that I can use the 3 inch size to make HST's to put with the 2 inch (finished) size so I have more options.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:15 AM

I haven't got the time to precut scraps but I do have them in different bins by size. I.e, crumbs, strips and larger scraps
Old 12-26-2015, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

I try to cut my scraps into the biggest size strip or square they can make. They store better than a box full of jumbled scraps that have to be ironed to straighten them back out, and they are ready to go when I want to play with them.

I love cutting my scraps and organizing the strips and squares. It's therapeutic for me....

I wouldn't mix flannels with cottons in a quilt. Save the flannels for their own quilt or backing. Homespuns occasionally make their way into a quilt with regular cottons, but I prefer grouping them with my recycled shirts fabric.

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 12-26-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

And crazy quilts for the wacky shapes. If big enough scrappy hexies or yo yos.
Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
Crumb blocks or Maverick Stars work for odd shapes. My problem is that once I get started on these I can't stop.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

I think using different fabrics in a scrappy quilt would bring a lot of interest to it. I would suggest that a lightweight fusable interfacing on homespuns will help stabilize them an reduce fraying. Other than that wash every fabric first for shrinking, even if it is just a wash in the sink and then dried in a dryer bag or pillow case.

Have fun creating your special scrappy!
peace
Old 12-26-2015, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

I don't mix cottons and flannels in the same project. Don't use homespuns. I do keep my scrap strips in bins, and the odd shaped pieces get used for 3" crumb blocks. I use the crumb blocks to include in making charity projects. They add great color.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:04 PM

I don't use flannels with flat cottons(regular/batiks). I use all the other cotton scraps in my scrappy quilts.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:20 AM

lightweight fusable interfacing on homespuns will help stabilize them an reduce fraying
Thats a good idea!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. This morning I plan on venturing into my fabric pile and start sorting and organizing... I may not make it out alive ha ha