Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about seam ripper

I use the cheap blue handled one and they work great. It is small enough to get in the stitch and point is not sharp enough to make a hole in fabric, when used carefully.

I have used disposable eyebrow razors. They are small and inexpensive. You gently pull apart the fabrics and cut the threads. It's fast. You can buy those razors in the cosmetic dept. at your pharmacy.

Blog Entries
    I've use the eyebrow shapers for removing machine quilting. They work great. I use my rotary cutter a lot for removing stitches. It's not as easy as you think it would be to cut the fabric with the rotary cutter. But my Ginger is the best and it glides through the stitches, no picking needed.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I use a seam ripper for some 'repairs' but if it is a seam the be torn out I use a 30 - 40 year old (or older) disposable scalpel! My sister is a nurse and used to work in the OR. She gave me several and I still have two left. They work great! Never thought about seam rippers going dull. Who knew? O.k. a lot of you knew and that is why the rest of us are here - to learn. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Here is a link for the Gingher seam ripper. JoAnn's has it and a coupon is good if it's not on sale.

http://www.sonomacutlery.com/store/p...6&cat=0&page=1

I have 3 seam rippers right now, one at my machine, one at my cutting table, and one on my ironing board under a piece of elastic I tied onto the board. One is very fine, the others the cheap blues. Toss them when they slow you down and don't give it a second thought. I will look into the Gingher's at Joann's, I may be missing out! :wink:

I gifted myself a new seam ripper. I used a coupon from Joanns and got the Fons and Porter one, thicker handle. I am very happy! I never even thought that they could get dull. Which reminds me, maybe I should get my gingher sissors sharpened. (I inherited 2 pairs in 1995 when I worked at Vanity Fair factory and they relocated to Mexico)and my local Joanns sharpens every other Saturday.

When I worked at VF Factory I used to sew the banding on the Victoria Secret bras. When the machine (not me -haha) made an error I used to rip it out with a razor. It looks like Gingher has a new razor out for seam ripping.
    http://www.gingher.com/

I use a small sharpening stone I got at a local knife maker/sharpener that is commonly used for fish hooks and the like. It is about the size of a pen, retracts into a plastic case and cost no more than a few dollars...it is also great for taking the burrs out of pins after I sew over them (though I really try NOT to do that!) and smooths away tiny chips on the edges of crystal and glassware. I think the seam rippers I have were given to me in 6th grade! I am well beyond that now, having just turned 49, so I think this method works!

I recently found this "surgical" seam ripper & it is a dream. It can be a dangerous tool though. I cut myself 3 times before I learned to deal with such a sharp ripper. I was so used to dull ones that I had to learn to be more careful. They should include band aids for first time user. LOL Pat

The ole saying goes...."AS YOU SEW, SO SHALL YOU RIP".... seems to be my favorite used motto....

TIPS: When that seam ripper does get too dull, mark the handle with tape or red nailpolish, etc. and use it for a stylus... helps to guide fabric by the needle and save your fingertip!

I bought a few when notions were 50% off at Joann's to place at both my machines and also have one with my small Vacation/RV box that includes several small hand sewing projects to "pick-up".

Blog Entries
    I have tons of seam rippers. The blue ones are so inexpensive and you can never have enough of them. I have a larger Fons & Porter seam ripper and one where the blade is the same size as the blue one, but it has a longer white handle that's easy to hold onto.

Hmm, the above makes me sound like I do a lot of ripping out. LOL! :lol: :lol:

My favorite seam ripper is Clover. The handle is easy to hold in your hand, the ripper is sharp and small enough for tiny stitches. It is affordable and you can find them at JoAnn's, Michael's and Hancock Fabrics (chance to use your coupons)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Wow! After reading this, I realize probably all of mine, 3 or 4, dull since I can't remember when I bought them and they are ALL the cheap blue handled ones. Tonight, I'm off to Joann's to look at theirs. Never knew one could get dull but it does make sense.

Yes and it is almost impossible to sharpen them. Next purchase buy a Clover brand ripper. They last infinitely longer!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcia
    My favorite seam ripper is Clover. The handle is easy to hold in your hand, the ripper is sharp and small enough for tiny stitches. It is affordable and you can find them at JoAnn's, Michael's and Hancock Fabrics (chance to use your coupons)
    This is the one I was trying to describe as having the white handle. I didn't realize it was one of the best. Now I'll have to get more. I think mine came from Clotilde.com.

My rippper is 47 yo and still rips fine.... :thumbup:

The wonderful owner of my LQS told me that the one thing quilting ladies/gentlemen never replace are their seam rippers and it should be the one gift they treat themselves to.....
    Either LQS's don't make mistakes or what I want to know is where they purchase these wonderful on dulling instruments.
    Me, sometimes, and more and more frequently, I use a single edge razor blade. I found razor blade holers at a supermarket on the gadgets wall. 3 for about $3.00 in fluoroescent colors. They are as safe as any other sharp instrument and to be used with care. And a whole box of razor blades (100)is only a dollar or two at Harbor Freight.
    Anned

Blog Entries
    I use my rotary cutter to rip out stituches-learned that watching Eleanor Burns-took some practice but works great! I don't use the seam ripper unless I have a small place or just a few stitches.

I splurged on a Gingher about a year ago (love their scissors) but I don't care for the seam ripper (all right, I hate it!).

It's heavy, the blade is thick, the "point" isn't pointed enough and although I'm right handed I would like to be able to use it the other way up, but with the contoured handle there's no choice!

Sorry, Gingher - but keep the scissors coming!

Yes indeed. I use disposible scalpels.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltsbybarb
    There is a surgical seam ripper out there that comes with replacement blades.
    This sounds like a good idea. Is there a brand name or certain way I should look it up on the 'net? Or do you get them at an lqs?
    My favorite one is made by Havels and retails for 9.95 each. This includes one handle and 5 blades. If your local quilt shop doesn't have them, look online or send me a personal message and I have extras on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by deedum
    what about the lighted seam ripper? Anyone got opinions on that? I bought one, personally not impressed!Seam ripper works well, but as far as the light goes,not so much!
    yes, I got one this past summer and I no sooner received it that my daughter asked me to open up some seams on a shirt of her....A dark purple shirt with dark purple thread..need I say more?????

mj

What is the name of this seam ripper and where can I order one? Do you sell them?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast