Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about Sewing Small Squares together >

Question about Sewing Small Squares together

Question about Sewing Small Squares together

Old 01-13-2010, 08:10 AM

I iron before cutting fabric, then sew, then press open. I did my first quilting by hand, then got a sewing machine and swore never to go back. It is a good skill to practice, even if you don't ever do it again (and for those of you who do all your work hand quilting - wow, that really does impress me, I wouldn't have the patience)

My avatar is made up on 1" (finished) squares. Take your time, be precise, and be patient :)
Old 01-13-2010, 08:47 AM
SC

And remember - there ARE no stupid questions - that's how you learn! I haven't done much quilting lately but I learn something almost every day from the questions & comments on this board.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:36 PM

Thanks everyone

I went to Quilting Group tonight at the church (Wed Night)that I go to now in my new city. They have a room called "Stitches" and it is a really neat room...it is for sewing, cutting, quilting, batting and loads of material, loads of batting, and you name it...they got it.

I learned tonight how to sew my squares together by Hand Stitching. There is a stitch called "Promising Stitch". This means that you are not allowed to use a Sewing Machine, you are not allowed to use any Pins whatsoever...you do everything by hand. No Pins or No Sewing Machine.

I got three of my Squares put together tonight at the Quilting Group. We have a very wonderful Teacher and I love her to death. She is so good and she is funny too..she is real orniery.

She donates material for us to use and I think that is so neat. There are about 30 us ladies who shows up every week on Wednesday Nights at the church and we cut, sew, eat, and talk and quilt. What more can you ask for right? Right!

I need to get more material for my Practice Quilt. I can't do that until next month unless the Teacher gives me some of her material that I can use.

I was in 7th Heaven tonight. Now I just need to get Stash of Material, more Rulers to use for my cutting and I'll be in 7th Heaven. Next month I'm going to do just that. Buy lots of Material and more Rulers.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:57 PM

Welcome aboard, beginnerquilter! Between this board and you quilt group, you'll learn lots.

It's interesting you mentioned 'Promise Stitching' because when I visited my sisters in Montana, my sister who quilts told me about it. I've not done it yet, but I plan to sometime in the future.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:58 PM

Your church group sounds wonderful. I love the 'Stitches' room. 12 yrs ago I began Ladies, Let's Gather at my church, 'gather' being a play on words, as it is also a sewing term. At the time none of us quilted, we sewed garments. Our group is still going stronger than ever, only now most of our ladies quilt. We too have containers of fabric, ironing boards and irons, cutting mats and sewing supplies stored in lockers. We don't have a designated teacher, we just take a newbee under wing and guide her along. Many ladies have learned to sew and/or quilt in our group, so I know first hand they can be wonderful. Sounds like you are in the right place at the right time. Happy Quilting!
Old 01-14-2010, 05:23 AM

Thank you for that...Yes I am having way toooo much fun in the "Stitches Room" on Wednesday Nights. We use another room to just sit and quilt and talk and I think that room is called "Stitches Room" also. I love my Wednesday Nights.

I am so glad that your group is still going strong and that they have learned to do Quilting as well. Your Group sounds wonderful as well. I am so glad that you have a room too in your church. Isn't it neat to have a room in your own church that you can go to and have fun while you are sewing and doing quilting.