Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A question about thread >

A question about thread

A question about thread

Old 10-14-2014, 08:49 AM

Default A question about thread

Quilting thread instead of regular thread?

What do you use?

I only do machine quilting and haven't been at it as long as most of you I'm sure. FMQ results are better, but need work. I have always used dual purpose ordinary thread. Will another thread have better results?
Old 10-14-2014, 08:57 AM

I have recently discovered the joys of bobbin thread for the thread in the bobbin - it blends into the back so nicely and more fits on the bobbin so you are not changing it as often. Sometimes what dictates what I use is the color I need. I do try to use a good low lint thread like Aurifil 50 wt thread. (I used a cotton threat from my LQS and there was so much lint I had to clean out the bobbin area every time I changed the bobbin.)
Old 10-14-2014, 09:18 AM

When I first started quilting, I was surprised when one of the ladies at the LQS told me there were better threads. I had always just assumed thread was thread. I switched to machine piecing with Gutermann cotton and suddenly I had virtually no thread breakage or any of the other issues I was used to dealing with on my DSM. So I would say that in general, you will get better results with a better thread.

I have been experimenting with thread recently, and I find the differences fascinating. Aurifil comes in several weights, and they recommend the 40 wt for machine quilting and hand piecing, and the 50 wt for machine piecing and applique. Their thread is very fine and soft. I prefer the idea of doing FMQ with a 3-ply thread, so I plan on sticking with Superior and Presencia 40 wt for FMQ. So far I have just used Superior King Tut for FMQ and am happy with the results.

The Presencia 50 wt. for machine piecing seems extremely strong, and looks lots thicker than the Gutermann 50 wt. The Gutermann for hand quilting is very wiry, whereas the Aurifil 28 wt. for hand quilting is soft.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:33 AM

I am a fan of polyester embroidery thread for quilting...generally a standard 40wt. There are a zillion threads out there that work great for different purposes. If you haven't tried yet, a thinner thread (they range greatly, from 50-100wt) you might find you like for tight fills or any design that requires backtracking. My favorite threads are Glide by Fil-Tec for general quilting, Invisifil by Wonderfil for very dense heirloom style quilting, and Omni by Superior for a cotton look.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

Thread does make a difference. After trying different threads, so far I prefer Aurifil 50wt for machine piecing and also for quilting on my domestic machine, and Glide trilobal polyester thread for frame quilting. Haven't done hand quilting in a long time. Aurifil is by far the best cotton thread I have used. I'm thinking the Presencia is probably even better, but haven't tried it yet (want to use up my old thread first).

I buy Aurifil online. Only a few quilt shops in my area carry it, and at a substantially higher price. I've never seen Presencia in a brick-and-mortar shop; when I buy it, that will be online also.

If you want to try Aurifil, I would suggest purchasing a spool through fabric.com (along with fabric, of course, to meet their minimum no-shipping fee!) or a single spool from eBay. Once I tried it, I was hooked. It is a very smooth and fine thread that leaves almost no lint in your machine.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:00 PM

Aurifil is great and while it seems expensive if you do the math and compare by the foot it's actually cheaper than Coats & Clark from Joann's.

I have recently been turned on to Precensia and it's even better, in my opinion so far. Aurifil is thin and low lint - so piecing is more accurate and more fits on the bobbin. Precensia is also thin and low lint AND is 3 ply instead of just 2, so it's a tougher thread. It's also a little more expensive than Aurifil and come on larger cones.

I think Aurifil might have more color options though, I'm not sure. So far I just have one cone of Precensia in a neutral color; I have lots of Aurifil on hand so I'm not in a hurry to stock up on lots of colors yet.

For really inexpensive thread where a little more thickness is what you want (such as for quilting that you want to have show), I'm super fond of Connecting Thread's standard cotton thread. Tons of colors and super cheap prices. When they had them on sale, I went through and bought a spool of every single color. It's lintier than Aurifil or Precensia, but not more than something like Coats & Clark. It's great for quilting or any kind of decorative topstitching.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

Be careful because some thread called "quilting thread" may be for hand quilters. Check to see if there is a waxy substance on the thread. Use the thread recommended for your sewing machine.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Be careful because some thread called "quilting thread" may be for hand quilters. Check to see if there is a waxy substance on the thread. Use the thread recommended for your sewing machine.
Yes! I think all of the thread marked "quilting" that I have seen in stores such as JoAnn's is actually meant for hand quilting. It can gunk up the tension if used in a sewing machine.