Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question about a wool applique wall hanging

Question about a wool applique wall hanging

I am working on a wool wall hanging about 45" x 55" in size - actually it is wool applique on "woolies" flannel which is backed with a light weight iron on pellon.

My question is what to use for the backing and batting in the final quilt?

This is the first time I have worked with wool and being the "top" layer is quite heavy I am not sure what to use to quilt it all together. And do I even need a batting (or something) for filler? Maybe just a cotton backing?

I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks!
    Ann Marie

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

It wouldn't have to have batting if you are happy w/ the heaviness and thickness w/o. I would suggest making a small layer of the layers you want to use and do a test quilting on the small piece to make sure the quilting itself will look like you want (as in showing up w/ flatness or fluffiness)
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
    It wouldn't have to have batting if you are happy w/ the heaviness and thickness w/o. I would suggest making a small layer of the layers you want to use and do a test quilting on the small piece to make sure the quilting itself will look like you want (as in showing up w/ flatness or fluffiness)
    I agree. I have done some wool applique and have used a thin batting on some and no batting on other pieces. Take the time to do a test with and without batting, you won't be sorry.
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon