Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Question on Batiks

I have been buying batiks, but I haven't gotten up the nerve to work with them yet! What's wrong with me? Sounds like I am missing out.

I love batiks and use them a lot. I have never had a problem in any way. Just be sure to pre-wash.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda from South Texas
    I absolutely love batiks, the color, the richness, etc. and have purchased (of course enough for everyone on the board to quilt haha). But I have read so often people discussing how batiks are a challenge to work with and now I am intimidated to use them. Why are they difficult to use?
    T think the problem comes when you try to hand quilt. Tough to get the needle through.

Quote Originally Posted by justlooking
    I have been buying batiks, but I haven't gotten up the nerve to work with them yet! What's wrong with me? Sounds like I am missing out.
    Just grab that rotary cutter and give it a go!!! They are still making more , so no need to worry about never being able to find even more beautiful batiks.

I was told by a woman who works with batiks all of the time that they don't need to be prewashed as they have to be washed so much to get the wax out. They supposedly don't have a lot of "loose" dye left in them. Can anyone confirm this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ceil
    I was told by a woman who works with batiks all of the time that they don't need to be prewashed as they have to be washed so much to get the wax out. They supposedly don't have a lot of "loose" dye left in them. Can anyone confirm this?
    That is the opposite of my experience. I would not ever trust a batik not to run.

i'm making a quilt where 4 out of 5 of the fabrics are batiks and have used them with other fabrics and haven't had a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceil
    That is the opposite of my experience. I would not ever trust a batik not to run.
    Ditto that, i'd always prewash, test.

I think the process does away with excess shrinage, but it does not do away with excess dye.

Blog Entries
    They are not at all difficult to use when machine piecing or machine quilting, IMHO. I absolutely love them and have made several quilts from all batik fabrics.

Blog Entries
    Couldn't you wash after construction with a color catcher?

I PREFER batiks not only for their beauty but also because I find them easier to handle whether prewashed or not. I find they don't fray easily, don't shrink, press nicely, don't need starch. I do find them a *tad* harder to hand quilt, but not much. So much better for hand appliqué, IMO.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat P
    Couldn't you wash after construction with a color catcher?
    I do.. My avatar is made from all batiks - has been washed several times, and no fading or bleeding - and I have a lot of the "Raven" black batik in her.

Haven't used them.

Where would I go to learn how to make batiks?

I join with the rest who *LOVE* batiks. I began buying fat quarters of them before I knew what a batik or fat quarter was and YEARS before I learned to quilt. I've accumulated a small stash I'm just now beginning to use. I took my first quilting class in January and headed straight to the batik section of my local quilt store to select the fabric for my quilt (top). I think it turned out beautifully and am anxious to finish it and get it up on the wall where I can proudly display it.

No one warned me about potential pre-washing problems or advised using Retayne. I've not had one issue or disaster!

I also appreciate the fact that they're less likely to fray.

You do not like them, So you say.
    Try them! Try them! And you may.
    Try them and you may, I say.

(credit to Dr. Seuss, Green Eggs and Ham)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mosaicthinking
    I'm with fabric_fancy, have had no problems working with batiks but would strongly recommend pre-washing with a colour catcher. I'm not familiar with retayne, but it sounds like a good suggestion.
    Where do you get the colour catchers?

Quote Originally Posted by Iamquilter
    Quote Originally Posted by mosaicthinking
    I'm with fabric_fancy, have had no problems working with batiks but would strongly recommend pre-washing with a colour catcher. I'm not familiar with retayne, but it sounds like a good suggestion.
    Where do you get the colour catchers?
    I bought mine at the local supermarket. They are made by Shout. Walmart, Kmart might have them too.

The only "problem" with batiks for me is that they are more tightly woven than quilting cotton and it dulls my quilting needles faster. Batiks are beautiful and I love them!

Question: When you use batiks, do you mix regular cotton fabric with them?

Senior Member quilting librarian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I am making a batik wedding wall quilt for my son and soon to be DARLING DIL!!!
    Anyway, I am hand quilting it and it's working out beautifully! I machine pieced it. No problems and soooooooo pretty!! :D
    I love batiks but haven't worked much with them. I had heard they are hard to quilt by hand and not to try, but so much for that advice!

I love them ! :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Katz13203
    Question: When you use batiks, do you mix regular cotton fabric with them?
    Sure, why not?

Blog Entries
    I love batiks and have used them unwashed and prewashed with no problems. I love the variety of colors and patterns. Their my personal #1 choice.

Blog Entries
    I have used batiks for years and have not had a problem. I do prewash and I would not hand quilt them. That's just my opinion. :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda from South Texas
    I absolutely love batiks, the color, the richness, etc. and have purchased (of course enough for everyone on the board to quilt haha). But I have read so often people discussing how batiks are a challenge to work with and now I am intimidated to use them. Why are they difficult to use?
    Now I know who has all those batiks I don't buy. LOL! I love seeing them in quilts, but they just don't inspire me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast