Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Question on Batiks

I love batiks,but they are hard to work with for hand applique.
    Great for machine piecing though.

I love batiks and haven't had any problems working with them. I've seen where people write and say they are hard to work with but wonder if it is the colors that they have a problem with instead of the actual fabric.

Blog Entries
    I think they are greatly improved over the years. I like to choose a good brand.
    I don't have any trouble hand quilting.

They are not hard to work with, they are a tight weave which some don't like to hand quilt but I have never had a problem with it. The only problem I have had is the colors are so saturated that many times batiks only go well with other batiks. If it is small pieces it works okay but not big pieces. Jan

Banned
    I am working on a q/top batik I bought, as usual I washed all -top/backing/binding , and when ironed I COULD NOT BELIEVE that it had stretched 3 inches sideways, I was HORRIFIED, a lovely lady on this board came to my rescue and told me to wash again ,towel press excess water and tumble, it went back to original size but disappointingly looks raggy.

rb.
    I've never had a batik stretch out on me like that.

Around here, using quilting or denim needles is preferred for batik.

I prewash my batiks usually, but see no dyes come from them. Some are stiffer than others, some are watercolours that don't use wax, so they're not as dense or stiff.

I hand-sew everything and about 75% of my stash is batiks. I adore them. Some are more difficult to get a needle through, with piecing more than with quilting, but it's a small minority and in some cases I know which manufacturers will be hard work. For instance, the very beautiful and incredibly useful Gradation range by Sew Batik - oddly enough, some of their other fabrics are softer and easier to needle. I wouldn't want to use those fabrics all the time, but I will happily use them mixed in with other fabrics for the odd project.

Definitely prewash, as with all fabrics that won't be damaged by washing (yes, metallics, I'm looking at you). With all but the lightest fabrics, I presoak them in cold water for a bit, then sling them in the washing machine in a mesh bag.

As for the colours being hard to work with, the jewel tones might be more eye-catching, and I admit that overall batiks do tend to be purer, more saturated colours, but there are plenty of more sombre batiks out there. I won twenty half-metres of fabric when I won the UK Hoffman Challenge, and to my disappointment, the only batiks in the pile were a greyish beige. Ah well, I'm sure they'll be useful in a landscape quilt or something.

I tried to quilt one made of batiks....my HQ 16 would not quilt on it!!! Could never get the tension just right after MANY adjustments attempts. Had to pick out what I did attempt....not fun. So now, I just shy away from batiks. I think they are beautiful, though.

I love batik's so much that if I am working on a new pattern and want to use traditional cotton fabric other than batik's, I have to go to a store that doesn't carry batik's. If I go on-line, which is what I do most. I always end up with batik's. You just have to use the proper needle because of the tighter weave. And I haven't had very much running. I just use color catchers and I've only had one really bad running one, but I think that may have been because it was a cheap fabric. I'd have 50 yds. of every single batik there was if I could afford it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4