Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question: Crayon Quilts >

Question: Crayon Quilts

Question: Crayon Quilts

Old 06-16-2009, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I tried a crayon quilt once. It took a *lot* of effort to lay the color down as a solid -- lots of coloring work. When heatset, I seem to remember that the colors faded a lot; basically could only get pastels or slightly darker. I thought it was a lot of effort for the result. I didn't use medium or anything; just used regular Crayola crayons. I tried an off-brand first, but found that those colors were much lighter and less effective.

How do these hold up to multiple washings? I think they would be likely to fade easily. Might be better for a wallhanging than a to-be-much-used baby quilt.

In terms of transfering the design, I don't remember now how I did it. However, I think if you trace the design onto freezer paper with a regular (not thin) Sharpie black marker, then back the fabric with the freezer paper, you should be able to see the design if you use a light box. Alternatively, you could use a light box to trace the design lightly in pencil on the front of the fabric.

IMO, you really need to iron freezer paper to the back of the fabric before coloring. Otherwise the fabric will stretch along the bias when you are trying to color in a solid area.

Actually the Test Block I made is without medium and it still has very good color and I use it as a dish cleaner,it holds soap really well due to the poly batting. You are right about the coloring it is tedious,but after the first coat of coloring if you put material under a piece of sand paper your block will not stretch or move and your crayon will be easier to apply. I only colored 2 times on most of the blocks on the 3 I have done. The the max amount of coloring was 3 layers. Not many of them. The Dino quilt has not had any medium applyed. The sports and the pixie quilts have had them applied and whenever the Moms wash them I will take pictures and see for myself. The first layer is done on a soft pad,I used an old sheet. The second was done on my Plexiglass extension table for my machine. With a piece of sand paper taped down I didn't use the first piece of freezer paper.. When I heat set with an iron I was amazed at how bright the colors were. I used a Pigma pen,a fine one and one just a little bit bigger. No bleeding and to make sure it stayed I heat set it with my iron,on cotton,a good press and that was it. I put a light under my Plexiglass table and traced with the pigma pen,pressed and colored.
I thought it was a lot of effort also but I loved the results and probably will do one for myself one of these days. :D
Different strokes for Different Folks
BillsBonBon