Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on Flannel as Backing >

Question on Flannel as Backing

Question on Flannel as Backing

Old 09-07-2009, 10:03 PM

Hi,

If your looking for warmth then go with the flannel for the batting. I have used flannel and it is great.

I bet that no matter what you decide to use for batting the quilt will be wonderful and bring lots of joy and warmth.

Pam

oops read you post wrong thought you were talking about the batting to use, duh - its an age thing, lol.

But flannel is nice for the backing also.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:08 AM

PJ, No problem, these 50ish eyes of mine tend to see things wonky sometimes so I am right there with you.

Thanks everyone, I think I will use flannel. Pat's, I had not even thought about a flannel sheet for the back, that is a good idea. I hope to work on the top on Sat when hubby is working, I will post pics as soon as I make some headway on the quilt.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:10 AM

Wow! I would have never thought of faux fur. Did you use your sewing machine to quilt it or did you quilt it by hand?
Old 09-08-2009, 08:16 AM

I have even hand quilted a baby quilt with cotton on the front and flannel on the back it turned out beautiful.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:00 PM

Can you mix flannel and cotton on the front? I am making a baby quilt and would like to alternate a cotton print with squares of flannel. Problems??
Old 09-08-2009, 07:06 PM

I made a lap sized quilt with all cotton top,warm and natural batting and flannel backing.It is really nice and heavy and warm but if your a hand quilter I wouldn't recommend the flannel backing.It was too hard to quilt through the extra thickness.My fingers were sore for weeks.If I ever make another one with flannel I will make sure to machine quilt it!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:38 PM

I can imagine it would be very difficult to hand quilt, but I am definitely a machine quilter...or machine quilter wannabe :wink:
Old 09-09-2009, 02:05 PM

It would be a good idea to wash both the cotton and the flannel first so that any shrinkage will take place before you sew them together. Otherwise you might get uneven shrinkage once it is completed and then washed. Being a baby blanket and washed often the wear factor may show up down the road. But other than that I don't seen any reason why the two fabrics couldn't be used together sence they are both cotton.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by gramysews
I made a lap sized quilt with all cotton top,warm and natural batting and flannel backing.It is really nice and heavy and warm but if your a hand quilter I wouldn't recommend the flannel backing.It was too hard to quilt through the extra thickness.My fingers were sore for weeks.If I ever make another one with flannel I will make sure to machine quilt it!
I did the same thing, I and definitely was hard to handquilt.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

Flannel is wonderful in a quilt. It makes it so warm and cuddly. My only advice would be to make sure you prewash the flannel. It shrinks alot.