Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question - FMQ >

Question - FMQ

Question - FMQ

Old 05-23-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by ann clare
Originally Posted by amma
If you are going to travel all over the quilt top with your quilting, you might consider basting a little more heavily. The goal is to keep the whole top stabilized to prevent stretching and puckering. If I was going to go from area to area, I might do an area or two and then lay it down and look to see how it lays and check for any puckers that may be starting. Or do some SID to stabilize and then go on to the FMQ You could also use wash away thread to do additional basting. :D:D:D
Very good tips. I would never have thought of SID.
If your overall quilting pattern doesn't include SID, you can always do some basting near or in the ditch with water soluable thread. I did this recently and helped a lot holding it together while I was doing my free motion quilting. It all washes out. Works great!
Old 05-23-2010, 06:37 PM

How does the 505 spray basting work for this??? I've only used it for hand quilting and SID. :D
Old 05-24-2010, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
How does the 505 spray basting work for this??? I've only used it for hand quilting and SID. :D

I haven't used that brand of spray yet, but my quilting comes out better using other basting sprays than it does with hand basting. I hardly ever have a pucker on the back!
Old 05-24-2010, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by katier825

I haven't used that brand of spray yet, but my quilting comes out better using other basting sprays than it does with hand basting. I hardly ever have a pucker on the back!
Thanks katier -- I can vouch for the 505 though -- it works great on small quilts. Just wondered about spray basting a large one. :D
Old 05-24-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by katier825

Thanks katier -- I can vouch for the 505 though -- it works great on small quilts. Just wondered about spray basting a large one. :D
The largest I've used it on so far is about 60x80 and it works fine. I do pin around the outer edge too. With all the handling, it does come loose from the edges sometimes. I spray again before I pin if I think it needs it.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:18 AM

I wasn't too sure about where to start either. Being a hand quilter I always tried to start in the middle with FMQ and it was just so bulky. I will try it one quarter at a time and see how that does. If I ever get back to quilting again. lol
Old 05-24-2010, 08:20 AM

katier825 -- when my small hand quilting projects come loose from handling, I just hit them with a hot iron -- adheres instantly! (When using 505 spray) :D
Old 05-24-2010, 08:28 AM

katier825 -- when my small hand quilting projects come loose from handling, I just hit them with a hot iron -- adheres instantly! (When using 505 spray) :D
thanks for the tip!
Old 05-24-2010, 08:31 AM

Thanks everyone! I have only quilted one quilt - a lap size for my daughter, and did it by hand - therefore I knew to start in the center. I ended up ripping that out 4 times before I got it right!!!

I have a panel of Noahs Ark that I want to quilt, so I will start in the center and work around the figures and see how that goes.
I did learn to use the spray basting. I learned the hard way!

I am also finishing up a lap quilt for myself and I will practice the FMQ on that - since it's not going anywhere else, I can stitch and rip as much as I need to but hopefully I won't need to!!!

And thanks for the video clips - I can use all the visuals I can get! :)