Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question for frame quilters >

question for frame quilters

question for frame quilters

Old 04-19-2011, 06:15 AM

do you have any tips for applique? I LOVE to do applique tops, mostly by hand but then when I go to quilt them I really mess them up because I'm allover them. I've tried every foot I can find but it's always like driving down a bumpy road and it just looks terrible! I know it can be done because I've seen them beautifully quilted and I want to know HOW!
thanks for any help
Old 04-19-2011, 06:49 AM

Quilt it by hand. I always hand quilt, because I can't get the hang of MQ. You just have to make sure your applique is flat on the background piece and smooth before you start.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:17 AM

Kathy, are you quilting over them? I have only quilted a few quilts on my frame with applique...but I did them gingerly! HA! I usually quilt around the applique, adding some ON the applique. I have not tried a panto on one yet. I have a bit of trouble with many thicknesses.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by soccertxi
Kathy, are you quilting over them? I have only quilted a few quilts on my frame with applique...but I did them gingerly! HA! I usually quilt around the applique, adding some ON the applique. I have not tried a panto on one yet. I have a bit of trouble with many thicknesses.
I'm trying NOT to quilt over them, just very close to them, outline, and outline the inner pieces but it ends up looking more like scribbling, I'm sure it's the thickness on the edge but I watches a you tube video and she makes it look soooo easy!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:44 AM

maybe a different foot? I have only used my regular foot, but I'm sure there are diff feet available.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:04 AM

I use a foot that I can see the stitching and outline of the applique. I sew slowly, and mainly use a blanket stitch or a narrow zig zag stitch that I can easily maneuver around the appliques. I do use light stabilizer that is very thin. Secures the applique pieces to the top and if for some reason I need to rip out stitches, the applique is still where I need it, and the quilting is soft. I would suggest a sample piece of the same fabrics and practice on those. I never start the final project without doing this so I can get the exact stitch length and width that I am looking for and can try out different decorative stitches. If I forget to change tension, needles, etc. I am doing it all before I start the the appliqueing. I record every step and keep it logged for future projects, with remarks on like or dislikes. Good luck! Find what you like and enjoy doing with applique and you will have fun with it and may get hooked into expanding to different ideas!
Old 04-19-2011, 09:23 AM

i use a ruler to get around the appliques

here's the rulers i use - she makes two different ones, wait the videos and see if you think either will help you.

http://www.deloasquiltshop.com/deloa...ppliguide.html

http://www.deloasquiltshop.com/deloa...ppliruler.html