Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for a Friend >

Question for a Friend

Question for a Friend

Old 04-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Power Poster

Patrice did a test with them a while back, I was impressed with how well they looked after being washed.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by amma
Patrice did a test with them a while back, I was impressed with how well they looked after being washed.
I figure they would hold up after a couple of washings, but I'm curious to see what they look like after, say, five washings.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Born2Sew
I bought the bubble jet solutions to pretreat the fabric and for use after printing. I wanted to try to make my own fabric sheets. Haven't had the chance yet to do this, but I planned to test some pieces in the wash to see how they would hold up after printing. Will let you know how it turns out if I ever get it done.
I've done this and it works great. Just make sure you don't have any strings on the fabric to get caught up in printer. It did not happen to me but I have heard of some printers really not cooperating after having a piece of thread caught.
Fun to do though. :D
Old 04-27-2010, 02:26 AM
Power Poster

i've had pretty good luck preping fabric (or using already prepared for dying fabric) freezer paper backed and run through my ink jet printer...a couple tips...after printing set aside and let (cure-dry) for at least 24 hours, then heat set. and for me anyway after heat setting i am heat setting each time i press the blocks being made. have one set of pictures used in a quilt that is about 5 years old now, been washed...lots....although the colors may not be as bright as in the beginning they have not faded all that much, just the brightness is lessened. the pictures still look good.bubble jet and retayne are both products i've used to prep for this technique along with using the printer fabrics available in some markets...which by the way are NOT all created equal and range in price from (rideculous) to reasonable...i use the june taylor ones -- 10 in a pack for about $10-$12. made the mistake once of buying a package from joannes (my least favorite store out there, but thats another story) without really paying attention to what i was getting...paid somthing like $14 for it, got home and there was only 3 sheets and they were stiff...and did not work well at all...color ran right out of them after a week of curing and heat setting, took one to the sink, ran cold water through and the color washed right out...so, i would never waste money on those again...but that is the only time i've had a problem...done about 11 quilts with pictures in the past 6 or 7 years, they are all holding up well...with the exception of the one i took to a printer and paid big bucks to have printed for me (it was too big for my printer) that one turned out like 'plastic' and ruined first wash...
before actually making a quilt do some experimentation...
another consideration is the ink you use...when i purchase expensive ink cartridges for my hp printer the colors last and stay vibrant...when i have refills or (genaric) cartridges the colors fade and loose their vibrancy...
Old 04-27-2010, 03:06 AM

watch what you get. i made one for our parents anniversary and had over 90 pictures. it was the first one i did. the pictures came out great and had them done. was at mom's a while ago and a lot of them had cracked from the sun. she has not washed it only puts it out when company comes. can't remember which company it was from.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i've had pretty good luck preping fabric (or using already prepared for dying fabric) freezer paper backed and run through my ink jet printer...a couple tips...after printing set aside and let (cure-dry) for at least 24 hours, then heat set. and for me anyway after heat setting i am heat setting each time i press the blocks being made. have one set of pictures used in a quilt that is about 5 years old now, been washed...lots....although the colors may not be as bright as in the beginning they have not faded all that much, just the brightness is lessened. the pictures still look good.bubble jet and retayne are both products i've used to prep for this technique along with using the printer fabrics available in some markets...which by the way are NOT all created equal and range in price from (rideculous) to reasonable...i use the june taylor ones -- 10 in a pack for about $10-$12. made the mistake once of buying a package from joannes (my least favorite store out there, but thats another story) without really paying attention to what i was getting...paid somthing like $14 for it, got home and there was only 3 sheets and they were stiff...and did not work well at all...color ran right out of them after a week of curing and heat setting, took one to the sink, ran cold water through and the color washed right out...so, i would never waste money on those again...but that is the only time i've had a problem...done about 11 quilts with pictures in the past 6 or 7 years, they are all holding up well...with the exception of the one i took to a printer and paid big bucks to have printed for me (it was too big for my printer) that one turned out like 'plastic' and ruined first wash...
before actually making a quilt do some experimentation...
another consideration is the ink you use...when i purchase expensive ink cartridges for my hp printer the colors last and stay vibrant...when i have refills or (genaric) cartridges the colors fade and loose their vibrancy...
Could you please clarify for me. I bought the package of 3 June Tailor at JoAnn's (don't remember how much), but are these different than the ones that were also June Tailor in a 10pk? Does June Tailor make different ones?
Old 04-27-2010, 06:12 AM

Thank you so much for all the great info. I was just about to order the picture fabric from Joann's.
Where do I look up the June Taylor one's on line?
Ana Maria
Old 04-29-2010, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

I used June Taylors sheets. It was for a wall hanging and will not be washed often. Mine turned out great.