Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on growth of quilting >

Question on growth of quilting

Question on growth of quilting

Old 05-05-2013, 05:50 PM

Knitting took off like wildfire about a decade ago with lots of new, young people taking up the craft. I wasn't so young, but jumped on that bandwagon and am still a knitter - when I'm not quilting. Once I stumbled over modern quilts, my interest was immediate. I'm now a member of our local Modern Quilt Guild and there are lots and lots of younger women involved, and new people showing up at every meeting. I think this is really sparking a lot of new interest - and with so many new fabrics, long time quilters have a whole new genre to explore. Between younger people, social media and internet content - quilting is the new "big thing". You no longer need a mother or grandmother or church group or anything like that to learn the craft.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:12 PM

[QUOTE=ghostrider;6046258]You know, if the internet sales tax law goes through and we all have to start paying tax for online purchases (those that live in the 45 states with a sales tax anyway), local shops may just see a boost in business. Shipping charges plus sales tax at the online retailers may balance out the lower prices they can charge because of their volume.)

This is a bit off the subject, but I shop online because of the huge variety of fabrics available, not because of saving money on taxes. I shop first at my LQS because I want them to stay in business. If I can't find what I want/need there, then I shop online. Yes, money can be saved by shopping online, but it's important to me to help my LQS. Their help is invaluable to me.
I

Last edited by gramajo; 05-05-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:16 PM

I have so enjoyed reading this thread. I do remember hand cutting and sewing the pieces that made a grandmother's flower garden quilt way back in the late 60's. I had a little gold box of the flowers and didn't know where to go from there so that was then the end. Sewing my own clothes, stretch and sew in the 70's, making my kids clothes, pajamas, costumes, bathings suits were my sewing until they grew older, clothes were cheaper to buy and then sewing just stopped, probably in the 70's. Ah, then the rediscovery of quilting through the birth of a grand child. I have returned to sewing, but in a much more fulfilling and rewarding way. Thanks so much for a reflection on this ever evolving passion so many of us. have.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:10 AM

I retired 12 years ago, and I love to quilt and do other handiworks. I stated quilting a few years before I retired and have expanded my hobby. I work on quilt tops a few hours each day, and enjoy when I complete a quilt. Of course my family loves my quilts and I try to make several quilts for my gradkids to have. I have often thought how did I find time to work, I stay really busy, but I can find time to quilt. Thank goodness.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:22 AM

What is a quilt? I have been quilting since forever-the '60's. I think the boom started in the '70's. But, look at what has happened. Unbelievable fabric choices, batting improvements and thousands of books and patterns. Now, I am taken with templates and techniques that not only simplify making designs but make them almost foolproof. But, quiltmaking has been a springboard to fiber art quits and graphic design. I was at the Mancuso show in Denver last weekend and was amazed to see so many art projects and so few traditional offerings. I know that this was the choice of the show coordinators as they juried in the pieces to be shown. There are so many sources, brick and mortar stores and online offerings that the sky is the limit. Yes, explosion is the right word!
Old 05-06-2013, 05:31 AM

I started quillting about 8 years ago. A woman from my church had a group to her house once a week to learn. I was only able to do this for about 2 years, due to work pressures. After I was forced to stop working because of disability about a year and a half ago, I went back to quilting. I have learned so much from this board. My 18 yr old daughter has made 3 lap quilts. She has a very busy life, so she doesn't have a lot of time to dedicate to quilting. I hope that as she gets older and slows down some, she will, like me, return to it.

I am hoping I will find a guild near where I recently moved with my daughter, or meet a group that would like to quilt together once in a while. Unfortunately due to COPD, and dependence on oxygen for everything, I can't get around too much. If it wasn't for this board, I would be SO lonely...I spend a lot of time on here and love it..Thank you all!!
Old 05-06-2013, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

I had a time lapse of about 8 years. I'd become very disappointed in the treatment of a few quilts I'd made. Whelping beds for dogs and drop cloths for mechanics and throw rugs to cover oil spots and birthing beds for cats. A lot of money was one thing but the inappreciation of these just through me into a downward spiral. My granddaughter brought me out of that when she went to an estate sale and found a quilt for $5.00. She really liked that quilt. That estate sale was 3 years ago and she tried analyzing everything about it. We talked about the size (queen). She sent me a photo of her with it. it was tattered but she thought about the work that went into it. She had a seamstress look at it and was informed it was hand quilted. She was amazed. In that same week, I had shown a house for sale and there were quilts in the house. The house was very messy and pet odor was very strong. The clients had a collection of quilts and were very disappointed (as was I) int the condition of these quilts. I know we saw 15 or 20 quilts. Some tattered some not. My clients purchased a different house but they belonged to a local guild and invited me to join them as guests. They were having a birthday party for one of the members. With all that happening in one week, I just started renovating the spare bedroom and making sure all my fabric was cleaned. A little at a time and still working on a few things here and there. I'm back where I belong and I love this board. This is where "TOO MUCH INFORMATION" can be a good thing.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:28 AM

I heard/read somewhere awhile back that the quilting boom (and other handcrafty things) started with the Bicentennial.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:38 AM

I always say I'd be thin if I could find a way to exercise while I sew. So far I can't think of a way.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:44 AM

I started quilting 40 years ago when the only cotton available was 'calico' - tiny flowers - or dress fabrics. I stopped for awhile when I went to grad school and then worked full-time. The first thing I did when I retired was make a baby quilt for friends' newborn, and I haven't stopped since then ('85). So I've seen many changes. I've taken lots of lessons when they've been available - mostly in Tucson, where I spend the winter. I've learned more on this board than anywhere else - and I've seen it explode from a few members to thousands. There's always something new to learn. Lately, I've been spending time on Pinterest, too, because I get so many ideas for quilts there. BUT computer time on this wonderful board and at Pinterest is starting to eat away at quilting time, so I'm going to have to start setting a timer and limit it! LOL Lord, give me discipline!