Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The tried and true or out of your "box"

Blog Entries

The tried and true or out of your "box"

Do you always stick to the tried and true quilt patterns and color schemes or have you ventured outside of your comfort zone and discovered you liked it?

a little of both.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Like to try new things with colors and techniques.

I'm tried and true as I cannot pick my own color schemes soooo bad with that Im ok with prints and a solid or tone on tone thats bout it

The first time I went 'out of my box' - quilting wise anyway - I had to force it. I used bright orange, lime green, fright blue, and a bright pattern. since then it has been easier. Though there are some colors I definitely can't use: throw up or sick baby poop yellow-green is the main one.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I am working with oranges, rusts, and greens right now. I don't have a single thing in the closet in those colors so guess this is out of my zone. But I like it. Just won't wear it because it makes me look frightful. I like new techniques and don't like doing the same thing twice if I can help it. Exception being stack and whacks.

If it is a quilt I am going to follow the pattern to a T, then I will make every attempt to come close to the fabrics , if not the same as possible. However, right now, I am making kids quilts that match their favorite interest. Right now, my fav fabrics is brights, so I choose a theme I choose two main colors, and try to buy fabrics that match the theme. I have called myself a "DAUG" (design as u go). Sometimes the blocks are not matching up, sometimes I spend hours changing design or colors, but in the end the kids don't mind if it's not exact. All they are looking for is that it's in their fav color, their fav theme and that makes me happy.

Mostly I stay tried and true...but it is fun every once in awhile to sew with completely different colors than I usually use, or to try a different pattern...maybe one that is more complicated.

Blog Entries
    I don't like green at all - but at the Paducah Quilt show, Eleanor Burns had rented yet another building that had her "stuff" in there for sale and that particular day the greens and browns were $1 off a yard. She had a huge pile of batik scraps for sale by the pound and most were greens and browns. I wound up with over a pound of mostly green batik scraps and recently washed them and hung them up in my living room (temporary clothesline) and found that most were very beautiful. Now, I have enough green scraps if I need them.
    Nikki in MO

After about 3 yrs of quilting, my friends were saying "there's a Laura fabric" Way to predictable after only 3 yrs. And following the crowd isn't my thing. So I made myself a challenge: use a pattern from a book no one else was using and only buy fabrics on the sales tables. When it was all done, it was another pink and blue quilt with a whole lot of twists. It's called Aquarium. Have never looked back to safe. And each quilt has some king of challenge: luminosity, color gradation, Y seams, etc. Name:  My display2.jpg
Views: 3125
Size:  1.77 MB

This is why I love precuts! I get out of my box and buy a layer cake of something different. I just made a quilt out of yellows, greens, orange and aqua. I'm drawn to fabric by holly Taylor for moda.
    *Rachel*

Usually I stick with "tried and true" but sometimes I venture out a bit. I really like my "tried and true" colors...and patters...so it is hard for me.

Dina

I also like to give myself challenges - use only what I have on hand, only sale fabric, or must be scrappy - whatever makes me think outside the box. I like to work with old fashioned fabrics, brights, really wild prints. I bounce from one to the other. Right now I'm working on a civil war quilt, a hand embellished quilt, and a block of the month quilt. Rarely do I follow the color suggestions on a quilt. I have several applique patterns that I have loved collecting the fabric for. I really like the quilt you displayed - just goes to show you a person doesn't have to be matchy, matchy. In fact I think it is more interesting when it isn't. Guess that is why I like mystery quilts. They can really challenge a person to look at values not colors.

I like picking out fabrics and colors to match a quilt block I come across on the Internet for free. The issue I have is not wanting to run out of fabric for a specific quilt pattern I design and I end up buying more than I need., which is ok as I end up making another quilt different pattern. My tastes run eclectic- love vintage but also love some of the modern. Recently, fell in love with Kaffe quilt designs and colors.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    a little of both.
    same with me
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I know what I like. I know what I don't like. I don't want to challenge myself as far as pattern difficulty goes. I've found what I like and I stick with it. I sell quilts but I only sell them pre-made. I don't "take orders". That way I can make what I want in the colors I want. Anything else would take the pleasure right out of it.

yel
    Blog Entries
    they tell me i am always outside the box...lol

I've made the same quilt pattern in only two colors. I'm colored challenged unless my friend goes with me to the fabric store. The quilt is a log cabin heart pattern, and if I remember rightly I've made 18. Not in the same two colors. The guilds that I belong to are surprised when I show up with a quilt that isn't just the 2 colors. LOL
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

I am trying to use most of my large stash and just use the colors I have. I use a lot of green, brown and yellows or gold.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I've never been in the box, any box...way too confining. Learning something new with each quilt I make is a very high priority for me. It's pretty much the reason I quilt.

I don't use other people's patterns and seldom use my own more than once, never without changes of some kind. I have a habit of designing quilts without thinking about how to construct them until afterwards, so I usually sew by the seat of my pants. So far, it's always worked out.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I tend to stick to several favorite color ways but if I know someone likes a particular set of colors then I will make one with their favorites even if it is not mine.
    One reason I like swaps is that I may receive blocks done in colors different from my usual set, or I may be challenged to use a particular set of colors that I don't usually pick.
    Right now my biggest challenge is learning to do the quilting part on my machine. I'm ok with SID and cross hatching. But anything else doesn't look like I want it to and I'm not going to rip out any but the most awful puckers or pleats. So much more practice will happen in my future. Maybe someday I will do one to be proud of!

This topic is getting interesting. To those "out-of-the-box" (OOTB) Name:  Dragon3.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  1.79 MBdo you follow the art challenge? What challenges have you given yourself? Would you post an OOTB quilt? Attached is Dragon and Tiger. My cousin is a dragon. His wife is Chinese. Their son is the tiger. These are the two most auspicious signs of the Chinese Zodiac. Although I don't follow Zodiacs, it's fun to their family. Yes they have this quilt, on loan, but it's rare I get it back.

Blog Entries
    WOW!! That is a beautiful quilt.

Blog Entries
    Out of Comfort Zone!! Some of my most beautiful work has been done this way.

Blog Entries
    I may have mentioned this book before, but Mary Lou Weidman's book pushed me not only out of my safe little quilting box but over the ledge! I was totally surprised by what I could do in totally uncharted territory. I think any time we push ahead of ourselves with regard to our skills or knowledge, we learn more than we ever dreamed possible and find much satisfaction in our growth!

http://www.amazon.com/Out-Box-Unleas.../dp/1564779130

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast