Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question - hand quilting large quilts in hoops >

question - hand quilting large quilts in hoops

question - hand quilting large quilts in hoops

Old 01-30-2011, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Darlaine
Do you hand piece your quilts or are they pieced on machine? If they are machine pieced does that make a difference in hand quilting?
It makes no difference whatsoever - it is a personal preference according to what I've learned.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by alderdweller
I am wondering, is it possible to quilt large (queen size) quilts in a lap hoop?
I have never hand quilted, but am thinking I would love to try this to give me something to do while *watching* tv with hubby. I feel badly about spending ALL my time with my machines, but usually when I'm doing the tv time, my mind is often quilting :P
Do any of you hand-quilters do it this way?
I don't use a lap hoop.I have a q-snap quilt frame. It only weighs about 3 or 4 pounds and about 35" x 40" in size. I slide my chair right up to it and watch tv while I quilt at night.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:48 PM

I quilted a king size(120x120) on a 36" hoop and the big secret is to start in the middle of it and work your way out in a circle, doing the corners last. It is very doable! Jan
Old 01-31-2011, 06:02 PM

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the room and I do love to quilt but I cheat as far as either basting or pinning my quilts for hand quilting in a lap frame. I use my sewing machine and stitch in the ditch around each block and then do my hand quialting inside each of the blocks. Has worked like a charm for for me so far and no pins to stick myself with. Dolly
Old 01-31-2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by dollym54
Hi Everyone, I'm new to the room and I do love to quilt but I cheat as far as either basting or pinning my quilts for hand quilting in a lap frame. I use my sewing machine and stitch in the ditch around each block and then do my hand quialting inside each of the blocks. Has worked like a charm for for me so far and no pins to stick myself with. Dolly
Whenever I try to stitch in the ditch, I never seem to know if I should pull my seams apart a bit, or which side to sew on. My stitches tend to 'meander' back and forth. Love love the lap frame, and the more I use it, the more I'm looking forward to trying out a larger quilt.

Trina
Old 01-31-2011, 07:15 PM

when I stitch in the ditch I stitch directly in the seam. My aunt goes a little to the outside of the seam. Not sure which is the correct way though.
Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
Originally Posted by dollym54
Whenever I try to stitch in the ditch, I never seem to know if I should pull my seams apart a bit, or which side to sew on. My stitches tend to 'meander' back and forth. Love love the lap frame, and the more I use it, the more I'm looking forward to trying out a larger quilt.

Trina
Old 02-03-2011, 04:35 PM

I hand quilt big quilts every winter in the hoop while watching TV. I usually do 3 but I moved in Sept & still have boxes to unpack so I will do good to finish 1 this winter. It's very relaxing to me.
Happy stitching.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by honeybee_2000
when I stitch in the ditch I stitch directly in the seam. My aunt goes a little to the outside of the seam. Not sure which is the correct way though.
When you press your seems to one side you stitch on the side of the seam that only has top, batting and backing, not on the seam allowances. The quilting line is almost invisible, there is almost no space between the seam and the quilting. It gives structure to the quilt but the quilting does not really attract attention.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:40 AM

I have never used a hoop and I always hand quilt I just pin and if its a big quilt thread baste it as well - apparently you have to be careful with the tension on a hoop as it can pull your material which could cause problems with the shape of quilt when finished
Old 02-04-2011, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
Just to throw another opinion in the mix -- I don't use a hoop when I hand quilt. I do, however, spray baste the heck out of it :lol: and then start in the middle and work out...
I'd love to know how you do that!! I learned to hand quilt on little projects like a pillow or other small things. Can't seem to translate that to bigger projects. I had my left hand fingers close to the quilting on the top and bottom. (scrunched it in my hand, does that make sense?) I'm not having much fun with a hoop. Though I suppose I just need to practice more. . .