Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question on hand quilting

after working on it already for 7 yrs., what's another year for hand quilting. I agree with others - you've done such beautiful embroidery work that hand quilting will not be all that hard for you.

Blog Entries
    I agree with everyone here that you should finish the quilt. If you can embroider like that you should have no problem hand quilting. It is very beautiful and I envy your embroidery skills.

If you have not hand quilted before you need to get something sandwiched that you can practice on first.

You might think it should be easy to make perfect stitches but it is not as easy as you think. I had never hand quilted before and started on a wallhanging for me.
    Well my first stitches left a lot to be desired but when I got to the finish the stitches were much better.

Perfect stitches can take a lot of practice. Is there really such a thing as perfect in this world?

These are just my thoughts and observations about how hand quilting was for me. Mine isn't perfect but I absolutely love doing it.

Chris

I agree if you do not like the quilting stitches seen, you will always wish you hadn't let them quilt it. Get a square of fabric and a thin piece of batting large enough to fit into a hoop. After cutting out the fabric and batting, draw 5 lines (as straight as possible) across the top of the fabric. Put the fabric into the hoop, and then tighten the hoop using the tension control. Practice to get even stitiches. Not so much how small. Just practice,practice,practice till you are satisfied with how it looks. Then start on your quilt.

Banned
    Yes, do it yourself or at least insist that it be quilted by one person. Group quilting can vary in quality. Difference in quilt quality might work in a large quilt but not likely in a small quilt.
    Design is effective in red work.
    I would suggest small grid in background. To grid evenly I would measure each 1" all around and then connect the dots. 1" will give you a finished grid of 3/4". It might be more effective with a smaller grid. If this is the case you can mark the edge at 3/4" which would then quilt down at about a 1/2" grid. You might also consider quilting around each of the embroidery motifs to give defination amd make the red work stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    Yes, do it yourself or at least insist that it be quilted by one person. Group quilting can vary in quality. Difference in quilt quality might work in a large quilt but not likely in a small quilt.
    Design is effective in red work.
    I would suggest small grid in background. To grid evenly I would measure each 1" all around and then connect the dots. 1" will give you a finished grid of 3/4". It might be more effective with a smaller grid. If this is the case you can mark the edge at 3/4" which would then quilt down at about a 1/2" grid. You might also consider quilting around each of the embroidery motifs to give defination amd make the red work stand out.
    Holice, thank you for this input. I was wondering how you would begin to go about quilting such a beautifully sewn top.

Judith Ann, I'm sure your end result will be stunning and I hope we get to see the finished quilt :-)

Blog Entries
    I agree with everyone you put this much work into it I would finish it myself no matter how long it took to be happy with it.

your beautiful embroidery looks like you are an accomplished needle worker. Why not do it yourself? You might enjoy hand quilting. I never thought I could do it but I hand quilted a whole Dear Jane quilt myself. (Using a hoop). You may surprise yourself - good luck.

Beautiful work........I would try quilting it myself.

That is beautiful quilt and you put so much of yourself in it, I would quilt it yourself. Just think what value that you send the generations to follow.

I don't think that I've ever seen an embroidered top with quilting on it but I must say that this is absolutely beautiful. The design is really great. Terrfic job.
    Good luck, Kutnso

Blog Entries
    i certainly wouldn't take it apart to put on their frame. since you have done such wonderful work yourself, you should go ahead and finish it yourself. it won't take you as long to do that since you know you are on the home stretch now.

community benefactor Parrothead's Avatar
    Pratice on something else first until you feel you have a length that you like. I had the four quilt tops that my grandmother made quilted by a church group. You can tell it was a group because the stitches are not the same. It wasn't done as well as the ones my Grandmother did. Even some of the vintage quilts I am repairing were done at the "quilting bees" aand I see the differences. I even find a knot occassionally and my Grandmother was adamant that "A quilt should never know a knot!".

Your quilt is beautful. If it doesnt feel right to have it quilted by the church follow your instint. It is so meditating to hand quilt. I like your idea of trying a different quilt to find out how it works for you. A small whole cloth quilt or a cheater panel is the best way to learn. I teach hand quilting classes. the least amount f seams is the best way to start. the red wyoming rose

Beautiful quilt. I have always wanted to do a redwork, but never have. I love to hand quilt also, so I agree with the others when they say if you do it yourself, you will be so happy you did the whole quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by judith ann
    I have a red work that I want quilted.It is a panel I bought and spent 7 years doing the embroidery. I did the stem stitch using pearl cotton.
    It was my just wait project. Doc. app.,oil changes,etc.
    Yesterday I took it to a church to see about having it quilted.
    I looked at what they are working on. The stitches are not as perfect as I thought they should be. Not as uniform is size as I thought hand quilting should be. They have done many many quilts through the years. Am I being to fussy?
    Since the picture I added another 6 inch border same as the 2 inch inside border. It is backed and pinned and ready to hand quilt in a hoop. I would have to take it apart for them to put it on their frame. I guess I need to know if I should attempt the hand quilting myself? I have never done it but think I can do as good a stitch as they. Should I take another quilt top that has not as much work in it for them to do first to see if I wold be satisfied?
    I would not want to offend them and they have seen the red work quilt and could start in Feb.judith ann
    On something that nice, why don't you just go ahead and hand quilt it yourself? :-D

As beautiful as that quilt is and as long as it took you to do, I wouldn't dream of having anyone who is questionable touch it. After 7 years, what's another year of quilting. Then it's 100% yours.

Blog Entries
    You have so much time invested in this lovely art work that I'll say do it yourself. Not only will you like it much better, but there's no reason to feel like you're making anyone at church feel bad. NO one can fault you for doing it yourself, but might feel slighted if you go to anyone else.

That is one of the loveliest pieces of fabric art I've seen. You do intend to show it don't you?

Don't ask them to do it if you don't like the quality - simple answer- as you will never be happy. Wait 'til you find a good quilter or do it yourself, would be the solution. I prefer to do them myself.

while i do agree that you should go for it yourself, quilting groups vary, too.

I'm in 2 groups - one is the Thurs morning group - and they're good and much more detail oriented than the Tues nite group at a different church. Ironically, the Tues nite group has been quilting longer together.

But, according to my friend's mother "The Lutherans do it better than the Methodists" :roll: :-D

But, as far as i'm concerned - the Methodists quilt better than the UCC ;) :lol:

Blog Entries
    I suggest you take muslin and make a small quilt. Use stencils mark the top. When hand quilting it is important to baste the top well. I hand quilt all my quilts you defiently need some practice time. I teach hand quilting and always start with a 24" square for students to practice on. If you are looking for a thimble consider a Roxanne . Good luck.
    Traditional

Wow, your redwork quilt is absolutely stunning. I agree with everyone that you should hand quilt it. Holice is correct....quilt around the designs (outline them to make them stand out), then, I'd do an old-fashioned cross hatch pattern. Let us see how it turns out, or, even work-in-progress. Beautiful:)

It is a beautiful quilt. Quilt it yourself. You have spent a lot of time on it and it would be a shame if someone else did it and you weren't happy. Take the plunge and hand quilt it. You did such nice embroidery work you hand quilting will be great.

Blog Entries
    It's a beautiful quilt. I'd be interested to know what pattern you would quilt the center. I hand quilt and I find that certain days, I can do a better job of stitching than others. I think when the arthritis acts up, many woman have a hard time making stitches even all the time. If you do it yourself, you will be happier with the quilt.

The quilting lines are on the center,diagonal lines about a 1/2 inch apart.I will also go inside the red work stitching I think.I will see how it looks once I start.
    thanks everyone for the encouragement.j

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast