Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on hand quilting >

Question on hand quilting

Question on hand quilting

Old 12-08-2010, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
Yes, do it yourself or at least insist that it be quilted by one person. Group quilting can vary in quality. Difference in quilt quality might work in a large quilt but not likely in a small quilt.
Design is effective in red work.
I would suggest small grid in background. To grid evenly I would measure each 1" all around and then connect the dots. 1" will give you a finished grid of 3/4". It might be more effective with a smaller grid. If this is the case you can mark the edge at 3/4" which would then quilt down at about a 1/2" grid. You might also consider quilting around each of the embroidery motifs to give defination amd make the red work stand out.
Holice, thank you for this input. I was wondering how you would begin to go about quilting such a beautifully sewn top.

Judith Ann, I'm sure your end result will be stunning and I hope we get to see the finished quilt :-)
Old 12-08-2010, 06:53 AM

I agree with everyone you put this much work into it I would finish it myself no matter how long it took to be happy with it.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:00 AM

your beautiful embroidery looks like you are an accomplished needle worker. Why not do it yourself? You might enjoy hand quilting. I never thought I could do it but I hand quilted a whole Dear Jane quilt myself. (Using a hoop). You may surprise yourself - good luck.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:02 AM

Beautiful work........I would try quilting it myself.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:04 AM

That is beautiful quilt and you put so much of yourself in it, I would quilt it yourself. Just think what value that you send the generations to follow.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:14 AM

I don't think that I've ever seen an embroidered top with quilting on it but I must say that this is absolutely beautiful. The design is really great. Terrfic job.
Good luck, Kutnso
Old 12-08-2010, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

i certainly wouldn't take it apart to put on their frame. since you have done such wonderful work yourself, you should go ahead and finish it yourself. it won't take you as long to do that since you know you are on the home stretch now.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:11 AM

Pratice on something else first until you feel you have a length that you like. I had the four quilt tops that my grandmother made quilted by a church group. You can tell it was a group because the stitches are not the same. It wasn't done as well as the ones my Grandmother did. Even some of the vintage quilts I am repairing were done at the "quilting bees" aand I see the differences. I even find a knot occassionally and my Grandmother was adamant that "A quilt should never know a knot!".
Old 12-08-2010, 10:27 AM

Your quilt is beautful. If it doesnt feel right to have it quilted by the church follow your instint. It is so meditating to hand quilt. I like your idea of trying a different quilt to find out how it works for you. A small whole cloth quilt or a cheater panel is the best way to learn. I teach hand quilting classes. the least amount f seams is the best way to start. the red wyoming rose
Old 12-08-2010, 12:37 PM

Beautiful quilt. I have always wanted to do a redwork, but never have. I love to hand quilt also, so I agree with the others when they say if you do it yourself, you will be so happy you did the whole quilt.