Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for Janome 8900 owners >

Question for Janome 8900 owners

Question for Janome 8900 owners

Old 01-18-2014, 05:36 AM

This is such an interesting discussion. I've had my 8900 since the day they come out, and I couldn't be happier. I think the more things we expect a machine to do, the more possibilities there are for things to go wrong. I wonder if the spring on you bobbin case is sprung. Do you have the "blue" one used for FMQ? Try it out and see if it makes a difference. The other thing that come to mind is how the bobbin is wound. The problem you describe happens for me when my bobbin is almost empty or the end thread has come loose. I hope you find a solution, or you find a machine you like better. It's no fun sewing on a machine that doesn't work for you. Everyone tends to find a machine that "feels" right - that why we have so many choices. Good Luck!
Old 01-18-2014, 05:51 AM

I am so sorry to hear of your problems. I bought my Janome 8900 last August and I just love it. It does a wonderful serpentine stitch that I love to use for quilting. It just hums right along. It is best to buy from a local dealer IMHO. My dealer is very helpful and I have always bought machines from them. A lot of times they can tell me what to do for a fix over the phone. Most of my problems have been operator error. If you don't like it, make a change. You won't sew as much if you aren't happy with your machine. Sewing is supposed to be a pleasure.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:47 AM

I have a 3160QDC, and I had the bobbin case pop out of position even though I thought it was in perfectly. I once had it come back from my dealer after maintenance and had the bobbin case incorrectly positioned and had it pop up. I was told that you have to make sure that the plate is screwed on tight, to help hold the case in place when tension or whatever pulls on the bobbin. It is really dangerous for your machine, can damage the bobbin case.

I think switching brands is like switching type of car. After 300,000 miles in Chrysler minivans, it was truly a shock to sit in a compact car. Or even just switching brands - stuff isn't in the right place on the dashboard and all that. Good luck - hope you make peace or trade it in!
Old 01-18-2014, 10:39 AM

I say if you are not happy trade it in, for that price point you should be really bonded to your machine by a year. Maybe janome is just not your brand. Everybody has their own things they like and me after sewing on many brands even a bernina I realized I am a brother/babylock girl and will never switch. That's is why they have so many brands to suit different peoples likes because everyone does not like the same thing. Life is too short not to be happy with that kind of purchase as those machines are not cheap, and you really want to enjoy sewing. From the way you keep talking it seems like you really want to sell and get a brother so I would do just that before you can't get enough of your money back on that machine
Old 01-18-2014, 07:30 PM

Hmmm ... I'm leaning toward selling but not sure how much I can get out of it ... I wouldn't even know where to BEGIN because I've never seen one listed used. But I'll see if I can find something to give me an idea ...
Old 01-18-2014, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Skratchie View Post
Hmmm ... I'm leaning toward selling but not sure how much I can get out of it ... I wouldn't even know where to BEGIN because I've never seen one listed used. But I'll see if I can find something to give me an idea ...

The map (minimum advertisable price) price of a new 8900 qcp is 2495. And I have been seeing that sale quite often.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Trippgal View Post
The map (minimum advertisable price) price of a new 8900 qcp is 2495. And I have been seeing that sale quite often.

Since I didn't pay that much for the machine myself, I would be ok with getting a little less than that. I might list it for a little less than that and leave a little room for haggling ... I've got a little less than $2k invested in my machine, as I bought it during the Modern Quilt Show in Austin last year, and they had a great deal on them.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:21 PM

Just a suggestion but you may want to give the dealer you bought it from one more chance to do right by you. My Janome dealer is very accommodating. I understand the distance problem but try a carefully worded email.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:45 PM

..I have an opportunity to purchase one for 2995.00 due to it being an open box Should I jump on this deal. I own 2 PFAFF's now, how easy will it be for me to cross over? Any info GREATLY APPRECIATED
Old 02-28-2014, 06:05 PM

Everyone has their own opinion about crossing over. I've found I'm not willing to deal with the things that bother me about the Janome anymore and I'm going to sell it.

The only way you can make the decision is to sit down and actually sew on it - A LOT. But ... $3k for an open box? Seems high to me ...