Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question for L/A's

Question for L/A's

How important is the basting stitch on your L/A machine? Do you use it often?

Quote Originally Posted by milly35 View Post

I never use the basting stitch. I prefer to set the stitch length myself.

Blog Entries
    Every now & then I have a hand quilter customer come over & have me baste their quilt sandwich for them-- its pretty important then. Sometimes I have a project I need to baste. It is nice to have when I need it
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Some machines you can do one stitch at a time. Stitch ... move the machine ... stitch ... move the machine - so in effect you are basting. A lot of quilters will use this, or a "basting stitch" if their machine has one, to secure the quilt top to the batting and backing before they start quilting.

So yes ... I would say that some type of basting stitch, either automatic or manual, is necessary.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    I don't use the basting stitch. I'm not even sure my machine does it. I only quilt for myself and close friends, not as a business.
    AudreyB
    Those who sleep under quilts are covered with love.

Blog Entries
    Never used it.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    The only time I have basted was when I knew I would be travelling back and forth with vertical designs.
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

Nope. Never use it.
    Tenacity is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with the absolute certainty that what we are looking for is going to transpire. -Oswald Chambers

I use a long stitch to baste the 3 layers together at the top of the quilt to begin. I also baste down each side to stabilize the quilt as I advance the quilt.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSunshine View Post
    I use a long stitch to baste the 3 layers together at the top of the quilt to begin. I also baste down each side to stabilize the quilt as I advance the quilt.
    Me too, this is what I do a lot of the time.

I tried to baste one time and it pulled everything out of shape. I never tried it again.

My machine doesn't have a basting stitch as such and is all manual action. I float my batting and tops, so sometimes will use a regular stitch across the top of the quilt, but don't find that even manual basting down the sides works that well for me. It tends to skew my tops a bit sideways. I quilt only for me. And am a beginner, just doing pantos.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Quote Originally Posted by milly35 View Post
    Yes all the time! I use the basting stitch to stitch down my top along the sides and top. It is easy to remove stitches and it is more forgiving when borders are a bit wavy. I set mine to 3 stitches an inch.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wesing View Post
    I tried to baste one time and it pulled everything out of shape. I never tried it again.
    Same thing happened to me.

I use it everytime I quilt. When I load the quilt, I baste down the right side. I use a regular stitch for the top and left side, but the basting stitch on the right allows me to smooth out any fullness that might accumulate as I go left to right. (Hope this makes sense.)

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSunshine View Post
    Me too, Gemrm and Texassimsjome. Since my Gammill has no stitch regulator, I just slow down the stitches per second and bast that way.

I have robotics on mine and have programmed a basting pattern to go across and down the sides. Just have to adjust the length, hit the baste button and the way I go.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird