Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question for LAQs

Question for LAQs

I am finishing up piecing a top for my niece and it is full of bright, bright colors. I was wondering if anyone ever used variegated thread to quilt? Or have you ever used one color of thread on the top and another for the bottom?

If anyone has a quilt that was done with the variegated thread I would love to see some pictures of what it looks like so I can have an idea. Thanks!
    There's nothing better than a cat and a quilt in your lap!
    Cher

I am not a long arm quilter , but often send varigated thread to my L/A pro for use on my tops. I love it. They do use a different bobbin thread a solid. A a general rule for me ..when in doubt as to thread color use varigated! Love the Superior thread King tut varigated.
    How it will look depends so much on the thread you pick. I have some varigated that the colors changes are very subtle, and others that have very noticble changes.
    Last edited by Lori S; 04-25-2012 at 12:36 PM.

I also use King Tut Varigated in my LA and solid in bobbin.

I had my LAer use a varigated thread and a clemantis flower design and loved it. However, a lot depends on the way the color is changed on the thread. What I mean is how long is each color and how much of a change. I have another small quilt where the design is strange with the varigated due to a big contrast in color on the thread and only part of the design really showing up. If part of the thread blends with the quilt top, it may make the design look awkward. This is where throwing the thread on the quilt top to see what it looks like is necessary.

Variegated works really well for "curvy" quilting, like feathers, stippling, etc. But it's not so great, in my opinion, for straight line quilting because then you have a couple inches of one color, then a couple inches of another.

I just finished a quilt on the longarm using cream thread on top and rust color in the bobbin.

I am quilting a quilt now using variegated thread. Using solid on back. I am long arming it. Looks greAt..
    Vicki Mc in SC
    www.jacksonpatchquilt.blogspot.com

It all depends on the fabrics of the quilt. If the entire quilt is busy a variegated thread will get lost. On the right fabrics variegated threads are gorgeous!!

I use a lot of King Tut Cleopatra on the quilts that can handle it, and I love the way it looks. Of course, I try to make sure that about 75% of my quilts can handle it....just sayin'....
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I use King Tut varigated on almost all of my tops, then use So Fine or another coordinating solid usually on my back

Be aware when choosing a variegated thread color that matches some of the colors in your quilt the thread can seem to disappear in that area. I also like Superior's Rainbow variegated thread because of it's shine.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

I also use variegated King Tut on my longarm and usually use a coordinated solid Bottom Line on the back. I have used the variegated on both. If you have a quilt without a busy design, the thread is beautiful. As others have said, it can get lost on a busy design. King Tut and Bottom Line do not cause as much linting as some threads do. They are also a bit pricey, but the Bottom Line lasts much longer as it is not as heavy a thread.
    Beth in Maryland

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I should then use a solid color on the top and the variegated on the back maybe. My backing is planned to be a white and pink bold pattern - so maybe the variegated would look good on it. I'll check out all your suggestions for the King Tut and the other brands. I'm taking the top with me to visit my sister in Texas tomorrow so I'm hoping she'll help me pick out the backing while I'm there! You all are the greatest!
    There's nothing better than a cat and a quilt in your lap!
    Cher

The variagated thread vary on how much the color changes. Some advertise they have a 1" varigation (color change) others don't say anything. I think the Superior threads have a better subtle change in their threads and look good whether you're stitching curves or straight lines.
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Blog Entries
    I agree with spokanequilter about straight line quilting. I was unhappy with my use of varigated thread on my straight line use....too much change in color. Some areas stood out while others didn't. Looked odd to me.

i have found on my HQ16, that its easiest to use the same thread top n bottom, to avoid any problems with tension.
    love coats n clarks variegated star thread. Alsew like www.valdani.com for thread, from Canada, beautiful colors and you dont have to open a large account with them. i like their 50wt, looks great AND a bit harder to rip out.
    katz