Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for Longarm quilters...how do you quilt your borders? >

Question for Longarm quilters...how do you quilt your borders?

Question for Longarm quilters...how do you quilt your borders?

Old 04-22-2011, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

i quilt my borders as i go along unless the quilt is too large and i have to turn it. of course there is that rare one that i have no choice. but for the most part i do them as i go along.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:44 PM

This is a great thread to follow. It helps to know how my quilt will be done so that I can help plan the design with my LA. The more I know about the process of LA the better I can plan my lay out of the quilt. I appreciate everyone's input.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:15 AM

If I don't Quilt the borders as in an all over panto then I anchor the sides as I'm going. A line of stitching about 1/4 inch from the edge, roughly where your binding would sit.
I often turn my quilts and this helps distribute the fabric along the edges as I go. Then I put considerable tension on the borders as I remount them. I've never had a problems.
MK
Old 04-23-2011, 06:15 AM

What if you echo quilt along the edges of the pantograph quilting? You could do several "echos" or as many as needed to fill up the extra space.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:17 AM

For a special border pattern, I definitely turn the quilt. All sides need to be sewn along the edges before removing the quilt from the leaders and turning it. It is just much easier to turn the quilt, so you are working on the entire section at a time.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:28 AM

If there are multiple borders, or a complex design that doesn't break up easily, I will turn the quilt. Baste those sides as you go to keep the fullness under control. Use a big basting stitch to keep the fabric right where you want it.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:37 AM

I only take the quilt off and turn it if it is a different thread color. I did a quilt that was white thread for the entire body and red thread for the borders. So I did the red top border then did the body in white BUT YOU MUST BASTE DOWN YOUR SIDES THAT IF YOU ARE NOT QUILTING THEM. Then I did the bottom red border and flipped the quilt. As long as you baste the sides as you are quilting, then I find no problems with them stretching or shrinking.
Rose
Old 04-23-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
Mindy Wilie, a well known longarmer says if you quilt the interior before the borders the interior will draw up and the borders will be too big and get wavy no matter how well they fit before.
Until I saw the video I had only done pantos so it didn't matter but since I've started doing custom work and I can vouch for her, she's knows what she's talking about!
If I am going to turn a quilt so I can quilt the entire border without stopping, I will baste the border as I go along, with every roll of the quilt, just to avoid this. I'll baste either with my LA or by using 505 spray glue. I usually use the 505 because it allows me to adjust the border easily when I'm quilting if I need to. I don't do pantos, so I have no advice on that at all! Tried it once when I was learning how to use my LA and hated it.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by rosemaynes
I only take the quilt off and turn it if it is a different thread color. I did a quilt that was white thread for the entire body and red thread for the borders. So I did the red top border then did the body in white BUT YOU MUST BASTE DOWN YOUR SIDES THAT IF YOU ARE NOT QUILTING THEM. Then I did the bottom red border and flipped the quilt. As long as you baste the sides as you are quilting, then I find no problems with them stretching or shrinking.
Rose
DEFINITELY baste sides as you go, if you are going to take quilt off and turn!!
Old 04-26-2011, 11:39 AM

I have wondered how to do feathers that really flow, I have a Juki 98L and it only sews a 5 to 7 inch strip as you go I don't think I can make the feathers look good coming back to them.