Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for Longarm Quilters >

Question for Longarm Quilters

Question for Longarm Quilters

Old 05-04-2017, 08:36 AM

Default Question for Longarm Quilters

I just recently made a quilt and everything was cut on the bias, so I starched every piece really good. Now the whole quilt is pretty stiff. Will a longarm quilter be able to quilt it that way? Also, when I starched it it caused some of the fabric to wrinkle a bit. Will that be a problem quilting over those small wrinkles or will quilting over it cause the wrinkles to be permanent? Thank you for any help you can give me.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:48 AM

I'm not a long arm quilter, but the woman I use has asked me if she can starch my quilts (the ones with tons of tiny pieces and a million seams) I have always said - do you what you need to do to make your job easier.

So I can't imagine you using starch would pose too many problems.

Marion
Old 05-04-2017, 10:39 AM

The starch should not be a problem. If your quilt top does not have a border and the edges are on the bias then a stay stitch around the perimeter of the quilt is advisable. Just make it a scant 1/4 inch all around the quilt, this will help stabilize it.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:05 PM

I starch my quilts as they are constructed. I have been told by longarmers that my quilts "behave" very well, so wouldn't think it should be a problem.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

The stiff with starch quilt will not be a problem, in fact your quilter may thank you for that! But the wrinkles could be quilted in. I would try to press them out if you can. Maybe just spritz that area with a little water and press. Give your LAQ a heads up about them so she or he can watch for them. If you are having an all over design done (like a panto) and your quilter does not have robotics they will be working from the back of the machine and will not see the wrinkles while quilting. If your are doing a custom or the quilter has robotics or is doing a free hand all over then she or he will be working from the front and should spot them and be able to smooth them out before quilting over them. I think you should try and do your best to get them out before delivering the top.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:06 AM

So, yes, a LA can quilt your work.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:52 PM

Feline has given a great answer. Definitely do run a very scant seam over any seams that didn't get backstitched.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:49 PM
Power Poster

I don't do longarming - but it seems unreasonable to me to present a longarmer with a top with many problems - wrinkles, waves, lumps, skimpy seams, whatever - and expect a flat, perfectly quilted quilt back.

Many longarmers do perform miracles - but why should have to?
Old 05-10-2017, 03:47 AM

As someone who IS a longarmer....

The starch is not a problem - if anything, it actually HELPS to stabilize the quilt and keep it flatter.
As for the wrinkles, Feline Fanatic gave a great answer there too. Doing a hand-guided panto does indeed make it harder to see potential problems like that. Custom work or FMQ are usually done from the front, and make it easier to work out small problems.
And on robotics (which I do not have), it could go either way - because some longarmers "set it and forget it" with their robotics - the walk away until the pass is done. Others will stay close by and monitor the system.

You should contact your LA'er and see how she wants you to handle this. If it were me, I'd just have you bring it in "as is" and spritz the worst parts myself while the quilt is on the frame. The water will loosen the starch and the tension while on the frame will remove the wrinkles.