Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A question for the longarm quilters. >

A question for the longarm quilters.

A question for the longarm quilters.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:34 PM

I took a quilt top to the longarm quilter Oct. 1. It was a throw sized quilt for my DGD's birthday. I only wanted a simple stipple on the quilt, nothing fancy. I needed it done by Nov. 13th, in time for DGD's b-day party. She gave me a reciept with Nov. 1st as the day it would be ready.

I called today to ask when I could pick it up. She said she had not done it yet. :cry: I was surprised and mentioned that she wrote on the reciept it would be ready by Monday, Nov. 1st. She told me she had some family issues come up and hadn't gotten to the quilt. She said she would try and have it done by the first of the week. :cry: I said thank you and hung up the phone.

I completely understand family problems happen without any warning. Been there before. I just feel a tad bad that she didn't even bother to call or email and let me know the quilt hadn't been done or started. I just hope I can get the binding sewn on in time. I will have to sneak around DGD to get this done because they live with us and it is to be a surprise.

Am I wrong to feel bad about this? It has bothered me all day. :cry:
Old 11-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

I understand you being upset. I had a simular happening. My quilter is usually on target but she was very ill and missed when I needed It. She is so reasonable and local that I just work with her life.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:13 PM

She should have called as soon as she knew she wouldn't have it ready by the first. Like you said, life happens. But common courtesy would be to call.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

A call would have been nice but sometimes life gets in the way. I hope you can get the quilt done.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:48 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I agree life gets in the way and sometimes things happen that are beyond our control, however she should know what her obligations are/were and a simple phone call would of gone a long way.. Her reputation is now at stake...
Old 11-04-2010, 03:52 PM

If she has been consistent in the past with being on time, I guess it's time to be flexible. With that said, I discontinued sending my quilts to a local quilter because she ALWAYS took way tooo long to complete them. (Sometimes 6-8 weeks.) I did not to put any "pressure dates" on her, but it got ridiculous, especially when family members were being given a 'squeeze in line'. This is what happens...
Old 11-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

I quilt my own quilts and wonldn't trust anyone to keep their word. I understand close relatives with health emergencies, with some people if a 10th cousin has a problem it is excuse enough to cause them not to keep their word. Hopefully you can have it ready by DGD Birthday.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:46 PM

I'm a longarm quilter but I don't presume to speak for all longarmers. I can only speak for myself.

I've been in business for over 5 years. I give a work order with due date on it as your quilter did. I pride myself on professionalism, yet as we know, LIFE intrudes.

I've missed due dates on several quilts in the past 5 years:
Once I was injured and was on crutches, and unable to work for over a month.
Once my husband had emergency surgery and I was with him at the hospital and then helping him to recovery, and I was unable to work.
Once a part broke on my longarm quilting machine and I had to wait for the replacement part to be Fed Exd to me, and then I had to repair the machine.

On each occasion, I called the clients whose quilts were effected and explained the situation. All my clients were very understanding. I don't think they would have been quite so understanding had I not called them, explained my situation, apologized, and given them an estimate of when to expect their quilts.

I would suggest that you call your longarmer again. Explain that your quilt is a gift, and how important it is that you have your quilt finished THIS WEEK. Let her know exactly how you feel. She may not have understood that this particular quilt is for a gift and that you have time constraints. Let her know all of your concerns. I hope she will be willing and able to do your quilt next.

Good luck to you with this situation. Please let us know the outcome!
Old 11-04-2010, 04:57 PM

I do longarm, too.
For not calling/e-mailing and explaining -- her bad
For not meeting deadline -- MAY have been unavoidable.

Now -- she has TIME to get it done...Regular meandering/stippling doesn't take long. Should be able to get it to you in 2 days unless she has another quilt on the machine.

good luck!
Old 11-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

I would have called if I couldn't do it by the first.