Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question On Making Quilts As Gifts >

Question On Making Quilts As Gifts

Question On Making Quilts As Gifts

Old 05-15-2014, 04:56 AM

Default Question On Making Quilts As Gifts

I have two aunts that I'm very close with. Every year I try to make them something for Christmas, Mother's Day, and their birthdays. Unfortunately the past year and half have been rocky for me health-wise, so I never got a chance to make them anything. I was thinking for Christmas this year I would make them each a quilt. My question is....

Do I do both the same pattern, just different colors. Or do I do different patterns and different colors?

The two patterns I'm toying around with are:

1. [ATTACH=CONFIG]475590[/ATTACH]
2. [ATTACH=CONFIG]475591[/ATTACH]

What would you do??? ;-)
Attached Thumbnails b76e69cac21a17d191991859b7aff49f.jpg   full_737_19957_jellyrollquiltpattern6sizes_1.jpg  
Old 05-15-2014, 04:58 AM

I get tired of making the same block so I'm sure I would go with one of each....pretty patterns! And glad you are feeling better!
Old 05-15-2014, 05:02 AM

I agree with Crqltr - I get bored doing the same thing, so personally I'd make them different.

Do the two aunts live near each other? Do they have similar taste? Maybe you can use coordinating fabrics and/or some of the same fabrics in the two quilts to link them together.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I agree with Crqltr - I get bored doing the same thing, so personally I'd make them different.

Do the two aunts live near each other? Do they have similar taste? Maybe you can use coordinating fabrics and/or some of the same fabrics in the two quilts to link them together.
Yes they do. They're about 15 minutes from each other (both are about 3 hours from me) and see each other all the time. They're tastes are completely different though. One is fru-fru frilly (pinks and purples) and the other is the polar opposite (think neutrals).
Old 05-15-2014, 05:20 AM

Both are great quilts. I say use the first one for the fru-fru and the second for the other one. [And here in my "sheltered world" I thought fru-fru was a Cajun term.]
Old 05-15-2014, 05:25 AM

Just love that first pattern!
Old 05-15-2014, 06:08 AM

I like them both and would do one for one aunt and the other for the other. Enjoy your journey.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:11 AM

Love them both, me I don't get overly bored with patterns. Sometimes I will make it several times sometimes it's one and done, really depends on if I enjoyed it or if it became a chore to finish. You could do either pattern in differnt fabrics one fru fru one or one each, both are very flexible and will be pretty in a variety of different fabric choices.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:21 AM

I would start the one quilt and keep in mind what you still want to do with the other quilt. I think they are both great patterns. By changing the color family you will have a completely different quilt for each aunt....even if you do the same quilt for both.
Besides, they will love it anyway...because it came from you.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:21 AM

I have two special aunts also and am getting ready to make them quilts. They will definatly be different colors and I'm leaning to different patterns also. I too do not like making the same blocks that many times. Enjoy ! I think it won't matter to the aunts who gets what its the love that binds you all together !