Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on quilts on display >

Question on quilts on display

Question on quilts on display

Old 04-03-2016, 09:00 AM

I refold my quilts on quilt racks and I do try to keep them out of the sun. If I see the sun shining on one, I will move it out of the sun. Makes for a lot of moving around, but so far the one I have on display is a vintage quilt from my grandmother and I do want to be careful with it. The next generation may not be as careful, but I have no control over that and it is up to them if they even want it. My one and only niece (no nephews) never met my grandmother and is not that interested in quilts so what happens after I am gone, oh well.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:42 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I seem to remember Harriett Hargrave saying that the industry standard for light fading of quilting weight cottons was 20 hours!
I was vividly impressed by a photo I saw once in a quilt and textile book. In discussing fading, the author showed a picture of a stack of blocks that had been stored IN A DRAWER for many years, yet had fading down through the layers -- which were fanned out to show the difference in colors in each block.

Darker blues fade very quickly, in my experience, especially when exposed to florescent lighting. Reds will fade easily too because the wave length of red is very reactive to light -- think of how many weirdly faded older red cars you've seen on the road. Other colors maybe not so badly or quickly.
This is why I store all my fabric behind closed doors.

Best to rotate, refold, hide from direct light.

Jan in vA
Old 04-03-2016, 05:53 PM

My mother in law hand embroidered, hand quilted a quilt after I was first married. I was young and stupid. I didn't even know the sun was any where near this quilt. It rotted the threads, the seams, and bleached this beautiful quilt. All the many hours she had put in this quilt she gave us. Sun is never a quilt's friend. Hard lesson learned.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:11 AM

Also it would depend on the quality of your windows - are they double pane? What quality of windows do you have? We just had factory installed windows installed in our Florida home and know it will be an energy saver.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:10 AM

I rotate....and re-fold....