Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question for rag quilters...

I am planning some flannel rag quilts for Christmas gifts. I made a little one last weekend using a half inch seam around each 4.5 inch square. It's really cute, but I'm wondering if I should go for a 1" seam for larger squares--depending on how much the flannel has shrunk since it has been washed and dried, I'm going to end up with 8-9 inch squares to begin with. Will 1/2 inches be enough? I'm using three equal size layers of flannel.

I've looked through many, many photos here but often the seam and block size is not mentioned. I'd love to see what you have done, if you have a photo you can post with your square size/seam size. I'd love to do a big practice piece with 1" seams, but I'm cutting it close on having enough fabric. I am sure it will be okay either way, but would really appreciate any input!!

Blog Entries
    I don't have photos, but I only use a 1/2" seam.

I like a one inch seam. To me, it's easier to clip to make the 'ragged' edges. If I used a half inch seam, I would have to be really careful when clipping it.

My pattern specifically indicated a 1" seam. I wouldn't have been able to cut 1/2" without cutting seams!

I usually use a 1/2" seam on my flannel rag quilts

I have always used a 1" seam. I have a pattern that calls for it to be 1". :)

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    I use a 1/2-in. hahaha... I think, so far, the 'vote' is close to 50:50. Perhaps you should go 3/4" !!! ;-)

For larger blocks like 7-8 or 9 inches a 1" seam is best. It gives more "rag" to the quilt. There's a free pattern on the Accuquilt site for the 81/2" die and it's a 1" seam. Yes, you can use smaller seams but the ragging won't be as pronounced.

Blog Entries
    Like everything, it seems to be personal preference. I have only made lap size rag quilts, so I don't have experience with the larger size.

mollymct, I have made a lot of rag quilts, and I always cut my squares 8 1/2" square, and I make a 3/4" seam. I have seen the 8 1/2" squares sewn with a 1" seam and I like the look of that too. I think a 1/2" seam is not enough for that size square. I vote for either a 3/4" seam, or a 1" seam......just my opinion :)

Blog Entries
    All 4 of my rag sofa throws have 1" seams.BTW, I used flannel sqs with flannel backing & no batting. They are so soft,& warm. Always the 1st to be used.

Here is one I just finished. I did 6 inch squares with 1/2 inch seams.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    This is my 8" rag quilt with 1" seams.

http://news.webshots.com/photo/12055...42468830ZZszpB">http://thumb10.webshots.net/s/thumb1...8ZZszpB_th.jpg" alt="Raggy Ferns">

Thank you all for the input!! I think I'm leaning toward trying the 1 inch seam for more fullness between the bigger squares. Latrinka and justme2--thanks for posting your pics. What wonderful quilts!!!

I've used 6 1/2 in. blocks and used a 1/2 in. seam with NO problems. I haven't made one using a larger size block.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Nice quilts!

I use a 1/2" seam, I have try the 1' and don't like how it ravels, I perfer the 1/2'.

I love making rag quilts. I have settled on a 3/4 seam as a 1 inch seems to have too much rag to quilt ratio. I do like a 1/2 inch on baby quilts!

Actually, it's not a good idea to make rag quilts for babies...dangerous since the rag pieces come off so easily and be swallowed. I would never give one as a gift or sell one. I couldn't live with myself if someone lost a baby due to that:<

Blog Entries
    If the seam allowances are too large, I wouldn't think they would rag as well as the 1/2" does JMHO :D:D:D

Banned
    I have always used 1" seams but I like the look of the 1/2" pictures posted here. I think I'll try that on my next rag quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    If the seam allowances are too large, I wouldn't think they would rag as well as the 1/2" does JMHO :D:D:D
    Here's mine with 1" seams. They rag better. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-68483-1.htm

Blog Entries
    One way to be sure they rag good is not to pre wash. At the time I made mine, all instructions said don't pre wash.My flannel came from Joanns, & worked great.It didn't shrink! I went back a got a whole lot of flannel. Prob should make more,but flannel is also a good batting/backing for miniatures .Will use it for batting in table runners too.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Here's mine with 1" seams. They rag better. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-68483-1.htm
    That looks great, Candace! That's what I'm going for. I hope I didn't mess up--I did prewash/dry my flannel. They are different brands and I didn't want any unpleasant surprises!!

I have plans to do a flannel quilt in the near future using old night gowns, pjs and other various flannel clothing items from thrift stores....I'm hoping because they will all be prewashed this won't affect the quilt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast