Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question on rag quilts

Question on rag quilts

I got my blocks cut out and ready to put my rag quilt together, my question is do I sew my X's in the squares before I sew the seams together or after the quilt is all sew together as a whole. My direction say after, but I thought it was before you sew the the seams together. Or does it make any diffrence? Did that make sense?

Blog Entries
    Make your sandwich...top, batting, and bottom fabrics... And then sew the X. Atleast that is the way i was taught. Have to put the X before you connect the blocks together.... I think it is because the batting would end up shifting if you waited till afterwards. Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    Yes, sew the x before. It would be very difficult to do this after the blocks are sewn together, because of the heavy seams.
    Cathy

Blog Entries
    the x is to hold your sandwiches together while you construct your quilt- so they need to be stitched before joining into rows.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Here's a great visual instruction site for rag quilts, it's the one I used when I learned. Sometimes "seeing" helps. I don't use a walking foot when I make these, just a regular foot seems to work ok.

http://greenappleorchard.blogspot.co...-tutorial.html
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

always before.

Blog Entries
    i have made many rag quilts (as you can tell by my avatar -lol) i used to sew the x but then i read where depending on the size of the blocks (if they are under 8 inches) and depending on if you use flannel for all three layers there is no need to sew the x. lately i have been making them with just the top flannel and the bottom flannel - no batting between. it makes a lighter weight quilt but is quite warm. i am making two right now - one is large squares and don't know what i was thinking but forgot to sew the x so i may make a square in each one but the other one is smaller 5 inch squares - on that one i won't sew an x throught it. again it is purely a matter of choice.

Thanks everyone! That is what I thought but either I misunderstood the directions or it said the later. I hope to get the x's sewn tonite and maybe if I am lucky I can get it together tomorrow and start clipping!!! My first rag quilt so I am excited to see it together!
    I am making this one with flannel in the middle, (3 layers) and my next one I am going to just do two layers for a summer one.
    Last edited by deedum; 02-11-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Does it have to be flannel? Can I use regular 100% quilting cottons?? Thanks Teresa

Blog Entries
    oh before you sew!! it goes very fast........
    Squirrelly Shirley

Blog Entries
    a couple of words of advice here: make sure you have clippers (spring loaded) to save your hands! and remember to take it to the laundromat to wash and dry the first time cuz you don't want to mess up YOUR washing machine with all the little threads!

Northwestern Lower Michigan/Seminole, Florida
    I have always sewn my "x" in before sewing the blocks together.

Blog Entries
    I have made rag quilts with cotton fabric top and bottom, but always use a batting between. Works just fine. I do the x before sewing together. They are fun and fast!! I always take mine to the laundro mat to wash and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by stampinteresa View Post
    Does it have to be flannel? Can I use regular 100% quilting cottons?? Thanks Teresa
    You can use quilting cottons. I've seen them where they mixed the flannel with the cotton. Comes out beautiful.

I have always made the smaller blocks and I don't even bother sewing the x in them. They hold up fine.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

No one says it has to be an "X" ... you can do any quilting design you want: hearts, triangles, whatever.

I agree with ragqueen03 take it to the laundromat. I put mine in the dryer without any heat til the last time.

Fiskars rag snips are better than great. You can easily cut through all layers quickly with them.

Have fun,

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Thank You Hperttula123 and eann, I had been told of this time of quilt years ago and was hoping I had remembered correctly. All of you on this QB are such great helpers. Wish I had my fabric stash here with me....but it is waiting on be back home in Virginia. Teresa