Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question Re:  Hand Quilting >

Question Re: Hand Quilting

Question Re: Hand Quilting

Old 01-24-2009, 05:45 PM

I refuse to use the "quilters knot"! I just don't like popping that knot into the fabric.... What I do is back up a ways, then do a tiny stitch, then come up about a quarter inch away, take another tiny stitch, then come up where I want to start quilting. I guess it does take more time, but the stitching is secure, and I am spared the "popping"...lol

Levada
Old 01-24-2009, 06:33 PM

Count all stitches that lie in an inch even if if is just a portion of a stitch on the top side of the quilt. That gives you the number of stitches per inch.

Also in a class I just took the instructor said to get some 'Skin Shield' (it is like a liquid band aid) & put on the finger under the quilt catching the needle. It gives some protection & you can feel the needle sooner than using a band aid or those little plastic discs they sell to protect the finger.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:21 PM

I learned to hand quilt with platinum, and yes, I have bent a few, but for me they are great. But, I have tried to get friends to try them and they want no part, say they are too small. I don't know if this is correct or not, but it depends which way I am going which finger I use to push the needle . Usually index finger, but sometimes the thumb, that also varies depending on what frame I am using, if any. I am also left handed, guess that is the reason I don't always follow the standard way. But, I always enjoy it!
Old 01-25-2009, 07:43 AM

Hi! Just last week I found a video on YouTube showing how to do the quilter's knot. I had read and read and just wasn't getting it. This 12 second video turned the light on for me - maybe it will help you. Here's the link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVzDkAbziLw. Holding the loop of thread they she does is what I wasn't getting - now it works every time.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:10 AM

The thimble I first used was a leather one until I wore a hole in that. I then found a thimble that allowed me to use the side of my finger leaving the tip of my finger open ( I too had problems with the other kind). Now I like one with a small lip on it. I bought it at a quilt show. I have very small fingers and it was hard to find one that fit.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:22 AM

I am a left handed quilter also! I don't do "exactly" as others do, but I manage! And I like hand quilting with others as I can qult in places that are difficult for the "right handers" to get into!
I use dillereft thimbles at different times! I have several sizes!! :lol: as my fingers swell or shrink! :lol:
Old 01-25-2009, 04:17 PM

Good for you! It will take practice and more practice to "get your stitch". Remember . . . it is your quilt so you can do it your way. I always keep a quilt in a large hoop and that is the way I quilt by hand. I have small stitches that I get compliments on. I could never do that with a frame, however I do have 2 frames. I love being able to have my quilting portable! I also have a quilt in just about every stage . . . from cutting, to marking, to hand piecing, machine piecing. blocks everywhere and . . . applique. It is important for it to be fun and it helps your neck and back to work on something else for a few hours. Right now I am quilting a "Cheese and Cracker" quilt in my sewing machine. NOT a good idea for that pattern. I do have these little nightmares! ENJOY!
Old 01-25-2009, 04:39 PM

I'm a left handed quilter also. I don't use a hoop, I use one of those finger cots that money handlers use on my thumb....( you can get a whole box of them from Office Max for a couple of bucks or so)...not only protects my thumb, but is excellent for pulling the needle through. I use a leather thimble on my middle finger and I tread lightly with my "under" finger on my right hand by "loading" the stitches on the needle with it instead of just feeling for the needle and letting it prick me. Takes practice but it is achievable.

If you use a hoop, you can place it loosely in the hoop and use an Aunt Becky tool to do what I do with my "under" finger. I have and Aunt Becky but I don't use a hoop right now. They are about $5.

Counting stitches.......I don't bother.......I just concentrate on making them the same size.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by lfw045
I'm a left handed quilter also. I don't use a hoop, I use one of those finger cots that money handlers use on my thumb....( you can get a whole box of them from Office Max for a couple of bucks or so)...not only protects my thumb, but is excellent for pulling the needle through. I use a leather thimble on my middle finger and I tread lightly with my "under" finger on my right hand by "loading" the stitches on the needle with it instead of just feeling for the needle and letting it prick me. Takes practice but it is achievable.

If you use a hoop, you can place it loosely in the hoop and use an Aunt Becky tool to do what I do with my "under" finger. I have and Aunt Becky but I don't use a hoop right now. They are about $5.

Counting stitches.......I don't bother.......I just concentrate on making them the same size.

Aunt Becky Tool???
Old 01-25-2009, 11:25 PM

I have a book, RX for Quilters. The author is a physician and a quilter. She talks about taking care of your body, and your hands, when quilting. She talks about how to care for the callus you develop on your fingers, how to pre-treat your fingers before you begin quilting to prevent soreness, etc. She talks about all of the areas affected when quilting, carpel tunnel, eye changes, back pain, etc. If you can find it, might be worth the investment. I dug my copy out with all the discussion of sore fingers, but the rest is interesing as well. It was put out by C&T Publishing, copyright 2000.