Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Question re selling quilts

Blog Entries
    Check ebay
    Quilter 68 who is now 69/and now 70

Quote Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
    Why are we reluctant to charge for what we do, if we do quality work? Have you priced a wedding cake lately? Or had a chair reupholested? How about having someone tailor a suit for you or your husband - not make adjustments - tailor it from the bolt of fabric? Or buy an arrangement of flowers to stand next to a coffin at a funeral? These are all jobs done by craftsmen - low tech jobs that depend on artisty and talent and labor. Why is making a quilt supposed to be at basement bargain prices?
    I think because it is "Women's work." Some people get it mixed up with afghans and everyone has an aunt/grandma/mom etc. who will make you an afghan.

Quote Originally Posted by nancyw View Post
    I mail quilts at Chritmas time and figure the cost for insurance at 2-3 times the cost the LAQ charged me. I was doing 3 times but some of the prices came out at what I thought was way overpriced so then I use 2 times. This sounds like a good price to charge. My LAQ charges .01 for pantagraphs and .03 for custom. I always do pantagraphs on gift quilts. She has thousands to coose frm.

I hope you never have to make a claim on that insurance, but if you do, you may meet resistance from the USPS unless you have an invoice for the fabric and the quilting. As for YOUR time and labor, as Cosyjo said, "Forgetta bout it..."

USPS wants to see hard evidence that an item is worth what you say it is worth. Of course they have no trouble collecting your money up front - they don't tell you until you need to make a claim.

I usually price mine at 3 - 4 times the cost of supplies that usually gives me enough profit and money for the labour involved.. When I look on Etsy I think WOW I wish I could get those prices but my area will not support it.

Quote Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
    Why are we reluctant to charge for what we do, if we do quality work?
    I'm reluctant because the price I would have to charge others is one that I, myself, would not be willing to pay.

Blog Entries
    I say I charge 3 1/2 times the cost of the supplies to make a quilt. Once the person goes to a quilt shop with me and picks out the fabric and thread they usually have sticker shock and then realize the quilt has to have backing, batting, more thread they say they will wait for awhile. I get them off my back for a long time.
    Got fabric?

I was told by a quilt teacher to take the cost of materials and double it, for a start. She said you will never make money on your time.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I met a woman who sells quilts on etsy and she says the only quilts that sell are baby quilts. I went to her site and saw her baby quilts. They are $30 and they are just 2 pieces of fabric. One for the front and one for the back. Oops, I forgot about the binding. But that is all she does to it. And I've noticed that the same baby quilts are there month after month. I don't think people understand what goes into making a quilt and the cost of fabric and thread. I had a gal make me a purse and I paid $69 for all the supplies and then gave her $100 for the purse. She is excellent at purse making. I couldn't resist. I could never make one as nice as she made this. It is probably worth more than I paid her. But she said people have asked her to make her purses for $25 total. You can't buy a purse for $25 that's decent. My hairdresser wants me to give her a quilt and I go see her Tuesday and I'm really having a hard time deciding on what to do. She charges me $95 to do my hair. I have a wall hanging that costs more than that. I can't say I'll trade her. She's young and doesn't understand. It's eating at me. I think I will show up empty handed and if she asks, I'll tell her they cost a few hundred dollars. Maybe then she will be okay and understand. I've only been to her once. See, people do think it's like making an afghan (no offense to people who crochet). They don't understand how long and how much thought and work goes into making one.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Banned
    Blog Entries
    whatever price get a 50% NON-refundable deposit with directions in writing, signed!

Figure up the total cost for the quilt for your hairdresser. then barter with your hairdresser. Example: $500 fr the quilt.....she charges $100 per cut & color....then she trades five free appts for the quilt! She'll back Down real quick.

There was an article I read in regard to why the hairdresser charges so much. A good pair of scissors can cost $800.00!!! Nt to forget station rental costs, supplies, the required yearly addional training, licences, etc. it is a business and like all businesses, the behind the scenes csts add up.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    I just wanted to thank all of you for the input regarding the sale of a quilt. The information provided was very helpful and it is much appreciated.
    Ronee

Blog Entries
    Actually, she might not back down. My hair-dresser barters all the time. She has 2 accountants, house keeping, legal work, house-sitters, etc. for free. Or I should say, for her time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    Figure up the total cost for the quilt for your hairdresser. then barter with your hairdresser. Example: $500 fr the quilt.....she charges $100 per cut & color....then she trades five free appts for the quilt! She'll back Down real quick.

There was an article I read in regard to why the hairdresser charges so much. A good pair of scissors can cost $800.00!!! Nt to forget station rental costs, supplies, the required yearly addional training, licences, etc. it is a business and like all businesses, the behind the scenes csts add up.

Sandy

Blog Entries
    There is never going to be enough money for a quilt, unless you buy one in Lancaster, and those range into $900 - $1500. Then you might get what you need to get in MHO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2