Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question regarding Coats Transparent thread

I am still rather new to quilting and was trying to quilt a small project on my home machine. I wanted to use the transparent thread but when trying to thread my bobbin the thread keeps breaking. Is there something that I should be doing differently? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have heard that you need to adjust the tension to but I'm not sure if it's tighter or looser. You may want to play with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leota
    I have heard that you need to adjust the tension to but I'm not sure if it's tighter or looser. You may want to play with it.
    I made my husband a shirt years ago with the transparent thread and he wouldn't wear it because it was like fish line, very picky. not certain if it still that way or not. I think you have to loosen the tension slightly so that ie doesn't stretch causing it to break.

Blog Entries
    Try using a needle with a larger eye and also, I wouldn't use it in the bobbin.

Thanks for all of your replies. What should I use in the bobbin if I am making reversible placemats?

You need to also be aware that you can't iron most transparent thread or they melt.

So in your opinions should I just suck it up and use cotton thread?

I use it in the top all the time, but not in the bobbin. I tried a couple of times and it was a mess. So I use cotton thread in the bobbin that matches the back of the quilt. But I have never made anything reversible before.

I have used it on the top but not the bobbin. I really find it a pain to work with so I try to stick with cotton.

I have used invisible thread on the bobbin. When filling the bobbin you do have to slow down the speed so that it doesn't stretch the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by dseale40
    So in your opinions should I just suck it up and use cotton thread?
    I personally would find some thread that either 1 matched the material or 2 variagated or metallic something to add a different look to. Then you could use one color for the top and one for the bottom.

Blog Entries
    Start with using the right size needle: Topstitch #80/12 or #70/10 are good with invisible thread. Start with your top tension at .5 and adjust up as needed no more then 3.5 . Use a thin cotton or poly bobbin thread size 60 or more. The spool should unwind in the vertical position. Nylon transparent thread is not good for quilting, it turns brittle over time. Poly transparent thread is what you want to use.
    Also if your thread is labeled polyamide, that is not polyester, it's nylon.

Everything worth knowing about thread is on Superior Threads website.

I have used it in the needle and the bobbin, but I prefer to use regular thread in the bobbin. When doing so, you almost always need to LOWER the top tension.

I've used that stuff a few times. Sometimes it works great, sometimes it's a nightmare. I have to reduce the tension to 1-2. Not always, but is usually works better if the thread is brand new -- if it sits on the shelf for a while it tends to break when used. Also wind the bobbin slowly.

Thanks for all of the great responses. I think I will try one more time using some of your suggestions, if that still doesn’t work I will go back to cotton. Thanks again for all of your help.

Quote Originally Posted by dseale40
    Thanks for all of your replies. What should I use in the bobbin if I am making reversible placemats?
    I've used it in both when I've done placemats, tablerunners and small landscape wallhangings.