Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
transparent polyester thread? >

transparent polyester thread?

transparent polyester thread?

Old 01-29-2011, 08:19 AM

I just bought some Coats & Clark 100% polyester transparent thread. I'd like to use it for SID on a table topper that I posted yesterday. The topper is multi colors blacks, whites, red & orange fabrics and the topper is quite busy. So I thought that SID with clear thread quilting would not compete with the quilt. I've never used this before. Is this type of thread good to use for that? Or should I just use white in some areas & black in others? My stitches don't always stay in the ditch!!
Old 01-29-2011, 08:21 AM

that thread is perfect for what you're doing
Old 01-29-2011, 08:22 AM

Kathy, Thank you for your quick reply. I'll start quilting right now. Debbie

Originally Posted by kathy
that thread is perfect for what you're doing
Old 01-29-2011, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Debbie B
I just bought some Coats & Clark 100% polyester transparent thread. I'd like to use it for SID on a table topper that I posted yesterday. The topper is multi colors blacks, whites, red & orange fabrics and the topper is quite busy. So I thought that SID with clear thread quilting would not compete with the quilt. I've never used this before. Is this type of thread good to use for that? Or should I just use white in some areas & black in others? My stitches don't always stay in the ditch!!
I use transparent thread quite a lot; especially like the 'smoke' color. It seems to disappear on darker fabrics better. One recommendation---do not wind your bobbin too fast. It will stretch and cause problems, like popping a plastic bobbin. One bobbin will hold maybe twice as much transp thread as regular, so fill only 1/2 full. Otherwise, enjoy :lol:
Old 01-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Power Poster

For future reference, polyester is good to use (there are some brand differences, but if C&C works for you,go for it). It does not stretch too much or break too easy and it will not melt under the hot iron or get brittle over time.

Nylon on the other hand will do all the bad things. So when you get more, make sure you get Polyester.