Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question regarding donation of large queen size quilt >

Question regarding donation of large queen size quilt

Question regarding donation of large queen size quilt

Old 06-24-2010, 07:03 PM

Be careful, raffles are illegal in some states so do a little research first.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:19 PM
Power Poster

I would hate to see your quilt go for $100.00. That would be a shame.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:35 PM

sounds like there are two branches to this communication. I understood your question to be how much to value the quilt at for raffle purposes...I was told a few years ago that charging $15/square foot is a starting point for charging for custom quilts. That should help you in that area...you can raise the price if the fabric was extra expensive, the quilting was really detailed, etc.

I agree with the other poster who suggested that a raffle would raise more money than an auction...I donate quilts annually to raise funds for a scholarship fund and lots of people will pay ten or twenty dollars to have a chance to win the quilt, but few will offer to pay the full price for the quilt...a 48 by 48 lap/wall quilt would be worth $240 by above formula but most folks wouldn't go that high unless it's a very unique quilt, in which case, it probably would have been priced higher...
Old 06-24-2010, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tennessee Suzi
Be careful, raffles are illegal in some states so do a little research first.
I'm not an expert on raffles, but I was involved in quite a few when I worked in California, for our professional organization. Because a raffle was considered gambling, we were not allowed to do it. However, if it is set up as a donation to win something, it was acceptable. Of course, that can mean that someone can come up and fill out an entry form (or ticket) without paying money, because it is a donation. We rarely, if at all, ever had anyone not give the suggested donation amount. It was always for a good cause. Things may have changed as I haven't been involved in that for around 5-8 years.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Kas

Silent auctions do not bring as much per item as a live auction. At least that has been my experience working my kid's school's auction project every year for the past four years. Is there a live auction at this event?
Old 06-25-2010, 07:33 AM

Thanks so much for all your wonderful comments and suggestions. I too am new at this and didn't know exactly where to start. I will follow up on the Tennessee laws regarding raffles or selling chances on an item. I think $10 is a reasonable amount to charge on a chance to win a quilt ... or whatever we can call it under the TN law. Do you think $10 is ok?
Old 06-25-2010, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by EdieClay
Thanks so much for all your wonderful comments and suggestions. I too am new at this and didn't know exactly where to start. I will follow up on the Tennessee laws regarding raffles or selling chances on an item. I think $10 is a reasonable amount to charge on a chance to win a quilt ... or whatever we can call it under the TN law. Do you think $10 is ok?
At our school raffle, we charged something like $1 for one ticket, $5 for 6 tickets, and $10 for 12 tickets. I think you will miss out on a lot of tickets if you charge $10 per ticket; many people won't want to take a chance with that amount of money.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:47 AM

your decision should be based on the income of the folks who attend. Some groups can easily use the $10 per ticket, others the $1 and still others...tho not any I'm in...can do $100...so it's your call.

I agree that you should have a "Discount" price...spend more and get an extra ticket..
Old 06-25-2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by UglyCook
Originally Posted by ckcowl
according to the tax laws you are allowed to claim the cost of materials (pattern everything included) so i would say go ahead and start it at $100 but can you put a minimum on it? if so the $250 you have into it would be appropriate. the thing about auctions is if you start high no one bids, there is a better chance of getting a good price if it starts low enough to get bidding started. i had one once that i had $200 into... it was to be raffled...the group did n't (bother) very much with selling tickets...they made $45 on it...i was so ticked i have refused to ever make them another one...but i had one that sold for $1800 so you just never know...but the rule really is, once you donate it...it's not yours anymore, so what ever they do with it is their gain (or loss) you get to claim the $250 you put into it on your taxes (if you itemize)
I believe that you can claim a charitable contribution for fair market value (FMV). You will want to document your sources for determining FMV.
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p561.pdf
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p526...link1000229745

And don't forget, it must have been given to a registered charitable organization

When you are the artist, you can only claim the cost basis as the gift. Thus, only the value of the materials. Your time is not a deductable gift. When you give an item made by someone else you can deduct the FMV. IRS form 8283.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:24 PM

When you are the artist, you can only claim the cost basis as the gift. Thus, only the value of the materials. Your time is not a deductable gift. When you give an item made by someone else you can deduct the FMV. IRS form 8283.[/quote]

FMV does not deal with time. FMV means "An exchange price that a willing and well-informed buyer and seller would reach through negotiation under current market conditions."

If you are a music artist, you cannot deduct the time you donate for a benefit concert. When you donate a quilt, you cannot say, "I spent 60 hours on this so I can tack on another $240 for my time", but you CAN deduct what the quilt is worth if sold at "FMV". It doesn't matter who created the item, if FMV is $500, you can deduct that amount, but not add on anything for time.