Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question regarding mitered (wide) border

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I am making a quilt and wanted to miter the corners of an 8" border (with pieced squares and stripes). I cut the stripes to be mitered the exact size needed only to find out that I should have cut them 2" longer. Would it be too tacky to turn one side under (as a 45 degree angel) and top stitch it? Thanks for your help.

My LQS actually showed me the technique. She uses invisible thread the do the stitching. I'm not fond of the technique, but in your case it would really help you save the miters.

You can, but there might be a better solution. Since your border is pieced, can you insert a bit of fabric into the center of each side,making each side 2" longer? If not, you could iron some stabilizer onto each end of each border piece, making it 1" longer (at each end, so 2" overall), and then do the sewing. You will wind up sewing right to the corner of the outside edge of each border strip, but the stabilizer will strengthen it a bit, and when you bind the quilt that weak part of the seam will be covered.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    My LQS actually showed me the technique. She uses invisible thread the do the stitching. I'm not fond of the technique, but in your case it would really help you save the miters.
    Thank you. I thought of this too. I will probably have to do this. Hope it goes well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    You can, but there might be a better solution. Since your border is pieced, can you insert a bit of fabric into the center of each side,making each side 2" longer? If not, you could iron some stabilizer onto each end of each border piece, making it 1" longer (at each end, so 2" overall), and then do the sewing. You will wind up sewing right to the corner of the outside edge of each border strip, but the stabilizer will strengthen it a bit, and when you bind the quilt that weak part of the seam will be covered.
    This is also a good idea. Will check to see if I can piece these four pieces. After all, it is a "pieced quilt". Thank you so much for this tip.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stitchofclass2
    I am making a quilt and wanted to miter the corners of an 8" border (with pieced squares and stripes). I cut the stripes to be mitered the exact size needed only to find out that I should have cut them 2" longer. Would it be too tacky to turn one side under (as a 45 degree angel) and top stitch it? Thanks for your help.
    Good suggestions upthread.

However (there's always an however),
    if you did, in fact, cut it the exact measurement - iow, the length of the sides of your quilt top plus 16 inches - you should have the exact amount you need, and not be short anything.

So I would question whether your border is correctly applied to the quilt, and that your miter is a PERFECT 45 degrees first before doing any more piecing.

Because you really shouldn't be short 2" if it was all done correctly. I'm not talking like the quilt police here, I'm just saying..... ;) ;)

another option is to overlap, as you suggested and blindstitch with invisible thread, the same way you would needleturn applique.

Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    if you did, in fact, cut it the exact measurement - iow, the length of the sides of your quilt top plus 16 inches - you should have the exact amount you need, and not be short anything.

So I would question whether your border is correctly applied to the quilt, and that your miter is a PERFECT 45 degrees first before doing any more piecing.

Because you really shouldn't be short 2" if it was all done correctly. I'm not talking like the quilt police here, I'm just saying..... ;) ;)
    The extra 2" is because if it's cut just actual border + 2* width of border you run out of seam allowance when you get to the corner.

MTS
    Banned
    The extra 2" is because if it's cut just actual border + 2* width of border you run out of seam allowance when you get to the corner.
    Um, wouldn't the piece you're mitering it up with have the same issue? So they would both end the miter at the same place?

Regardless, if it was done correctly, 2" shouldn't just disappear from the length.

Just saying.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stitchofclass2
    Good suggestions upthread.

However (there's always an however),

Thank you for this remedy. I am feeling much better about this already. Have to travel tomorrow so won't be quilting for a couple of days. Will post a photo when complete. Thanks to everyone who is trying to help me. I so appreciate it. Yolanda

Been there, done that! I still have that particular top in my UFO pile! (sigh)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kwilter
    Been there, done that! I still have that particular top in my UFO pile! (sigh)
    Maybe the two of us can finish these two UFO's together. My border is a pieced block border 8" wide. Whew!!!

Um, wouldn't the piece you're mitering it up with have the same issue? So they would both end the miter at the same place?

Regardless, if it was done correctly, 2" shouldn't just disappear from the length.

Just saying.
    You really do need the extra (almost) 2". Think of it as similar to cutting a HST. You make a square that is 7/8" larger than the HST, then cut it diagonally. This is the same concept. The 2" doesn't disappear - it's in the seam allowance. A tiny bit will stick out beyond the corner of the quilt and can be trimmed. If you don't have the 2", you won't have any seam allowance at all at the very corner of the quilt, and the seam will be very weak.