Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question

Blog Entries
    I want to make 6X6 in squares (sewn together) for an idea I have for my camp kids to write down rules and their names.

I'm going to use cheap white fabric, how many yards would I need to make 60-70 6x6 in squares. (When sewn together it will be approximately 30-35 squares total.)

How many yards? And where can I get some cheap fabric and fabric markers?

I'd go to Dollar General and buy a flat sheet. A twin flat would probably give you enough fabric and I think they're only about $3.50 or $4.50 at Dollar Gen.

Blog Entries
    I could check that out... thanks!

Blog Entries
    Be careful with Sharpies, they tend to run ( spread out ) as you write and red will run in the wash

Blog Entries
    Also, iron on some freezer paper to the back to stabilize it before writing, will make it easier to write on

Good Luck and please post a picture of the finished quilt. I'd love to see how it turns out!

Blog Entries
    I'll have a photo of it, since we'll just be tying them together (I'm giving each teen two squares, one to write their name on, and one to write a rule on. Makes it easier that them having to fight for the poster board, like last year.) Plus it's something different. Hopefully I have the same area as last year, and we can just tie it to the banister instead of taping it! But when it is done, I shall take a photo of it, if my sister lets me take the camera... or I borrow it without her knowledge, she won't even know it's gone, and I'll get it up asap!

Alu, you will need approximately 2 1/4 yds of fabric for 70 squares.

As for fabric marker, find a Laundry marker similar to a Sharpie or buy one of the Pigma markers that come in different size tips.

Blog Entries
    I found that Crayola has fabric markers. And I might get canvas like material but not sure yet.

Power Poster
    The idea of a good cotton muslin sheet is a good one.

Or like a 200 or so count cotton percale would also work.

Blog Entries
    Cool... I don't want to spend a fortune on this...

Since I'll have the kids tie the squares together, what should I use? Yarn? Or fabric ties?

Power Poster
    Yarn, crochet thread - the stuff people crochet doilies with, perle cotton, embroidery thread, 1/8 inch ribbon, are all things people have used to tie quilts.

You need needles with eyes large enough to accommodate whatever you decide to use, with a sharp point.

Blog Entries
    I'm sewing it on the squares, and then using that to tie the squares together (I won't have a sewing machine and I won't have time to hand sew a thing, so I have to tie this together.)

Power Poster
    Are these squares going to have raw/unfinished edges?

Why cut up the sheet (or large piece of fabric) at all? Just draw squares on it and let them do their thing. You can still tie it (treat it like cheater cloth). I've dealt with hundreds of things like this and find the simpler the better.

You might draw up a letter requesting donation of such materials if you have a letter of Non-profit statement (check with the director of this camp group for a NPO number if required by your state for tax exemptions). A lot of places will donate, reduce prices, etc. I've done this a lot. You might be surprised by what you find.

Blog Entries
    Lab fairy, the no cutting is a fantastic idea... saves me time! :) I'll go get the flat sheet from AJ Wrights (discount store) They have wal-mart sheets there for 3.00 so I'll get that and a sheet to go with the flat sheet I just bought there too!

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by lab fairy
    Why cut up the sheet (or large piece of fabric) at all? Just draw squares on it and let them do their thing. You can still tie it (treat it like cheater cloth). I've dealt with hundreds of things like this and find the simpler the better.

You might draw up a letter requesting donation of such materials if you have a letter of Non-profit statement (check with the director of this camp group for a NPO number if required by your state for tax exemptions). A lot of places will donate, reduce prices, etc. I've done this a lot. You might be surprised by what you find.
    Awesomely simple/easy idea!

Blog Entries
    IT IS! It saves me some time!!!