Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: question

I have some fabric that has..I am sure there is a name for it, but I don't know..the best way I can describe it is a saw tooth cut on the edge, I assume it is cut like this to stop fraying? Anyway when I am sewing these edges together where do I measure for my seam allowance? at the top of the saw tooth or bottom?
    Thank you?
    David

Good Question!!

Material was cut with "pinking sheers". I would use the low part of the points to measure from for seam allowance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinking_shears

Quote Originally Posted by davidwent
    I have some fabric that has..I am sure there is a name for it, but I don't know..the best way I can describe it is a saw tooth cut on the edge, I assume it is cut like this to stop fraying? Anyway when I am sewing these edges together where do I measure for my seam allowance? at the top of the saw tooth or bottom?
    Thank you?
    David

I'd square off the edge.

Thank you?
    David
    bottom

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    Material was cut with "pinking sheers". I would use the low part of the points to measure from for seam allowance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinking_shears

Thank you?
    David
    Thanks for the link, very informative!
    David

I am assuming that you bought a jellyroll or some such pre-cut fabric? IF that's the case and you need the fabric to be a particular size (like 2 1/2 inches) then you measure the width of the cuts and judge accordingly. But if you're just sewing them together to make a strip quilt then I would sew from the valleys of the cut. Sturdier.

Blog Entries
    I measure at the bottom to ensure I get all the sawtooth covered.

Like you new avatar.

i agree with using the bottom of the v

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy
    I measure at the bottom to ensure I get all the sawtooth covered.

Like you new avatar.
    Thank you, and Thank you! ;)

Ahhh... should have thought Jelly Rolls, I just used that tube quilt pattern that brought me to this site.

when i was making clothes you used the edge but i agree with every one measure from the inside

Blog Entries
    If you are talking about precuts, measure them from the top of the "saw edge" on one side to the top on the other.

My pre cuts are 5" tip to tip. If I was to use the "dip" of the cut as the edge, that would make my finished block less than 4 1/2."

Also, I am curious as to how you would sew an accurate seam using the dip as the seams edge?

I'd found that the charm packs are not perfect and the pinked edges really suck when trying to line stuff up.

Blog Entries
    hmmmm i've sewn many charms together and use the pinked edge as the seam allowance with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    If you are talking about precuts, measure them from the top of the "saw edge" on one side to the top on the other.

My pre cuts are 5" tip to tip. If I was to use the "dip" of the cut as the edge, that would make my finished block less than 4 1/2."

Also, I am curious as to how you would sew an accurate seam using the dip as the seams edge?
    YEP YEP! for precuts use the outside edge. I learned the hard way via a whole layer cake.

I don't like the pinked edge pre-cuts but have used some. I went by the top of the edge, don't know how the seams will hold up over time but .....

The jelly rolls that I have used are 2 1/2"...and to get the full width, I had to measure tip to tip...is that pretty standard then?

RST
    Blog Entries
    I use the tip of the pinking, not the valley. I've had no problems with the very slightly smaller seam allowance that results -- lots of wear and tear and washing, and no issues.

My only gripe with pinked fabric is the lint -- hate that.

RST