Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for those of you with antique sewing machines >

Question for those of you with antique sewing machines

Question for those of you with antique sewing machines

Old 04-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Banned

Most of the vintage machines like the Singer work off of a cam type of system not gears. And the oil is what they require and not grease. The viscosity would prevent the proper lubrication. Just think about the motor in your vehicle including the transmission and the rear ends. All of those require oil not a grease.

Few of the machines use a grease but on the motors.

Billy
Old 04-19-2010, 06:15 AM

Yes, you (or a willing partner) have to turn it in order to make a stitch.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:38 AM

with a little research, you will find that a lot of the vintage machines can be converted to a hand crank. and lots of electric machines can be put into the pretty treadle cabinets. Yahoo group <Vintage Singers> is first rate info.
there is a site devoted to treadles <treadleon>. 15-91 is a heavy-duty (not industrial) machine and is a gem for FM quilting. You can find 99's all over, cheap. they are a 3/4 size machine. Love the Black Beauties ! smitty
Old 04-20-2010, 09:55 AM

Oh man, quilting and car shows...........sounds like heaven. We use to show cars and hope to again one day. I will keep in mind the sewing aspect..........could be a lovely retirement.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:57 AM

OH yeah...........I have my grandmother's treadle singer machine. It is a beauty. I need to find a new belt for it but otherwise it works well. I want to use it to piece a quilt. My Mom made quilts her whole life. I only own one store bought blanket. All the rest are quilts my Mom made. She just passed away in Feb. but she left us all a great legacy.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:57 PM
bow

I can really understand what you're talking about. When I was in my early 20's I very stupidly sold my mothers Wards Sewing Machine Model 30 at a garage sale. I'm now 55 and I'm just sick about it. I just recently found the machine on Craigs list and I'm so excited about it. Unfortunatly, the guy lost the cord that plugs from the machine into the wall. It's such an old machine I can't seem to find anyone that carries it. I saw a message some where on the Quilters Message Board from a lady who's machine was pretty well trashed except for a few parts. Please, if anyone remembers her could you please pass her on. This means so much to me. Thanks
Old 07-10-2011, 01:31 PM

I agree with JJ, the older machines are awesome
Old 11-18-2011, 01:58 PM

I have two antique treddle machines. One belonged to my Great Grandmother, and the other to my Grandmother. Both were quilters and I have some of their quilts. I have never sewn on them, but have them as decor for my home. The problem is I have no one to pass them on to in my family. My mother told me so much history about what my Grandmother had to do during the depression to get her machine that I can't bear the fact that no one in the family wants to take them to pass them down. I really need to get my nieces interested in them since I have to downsize and will be moving to Hawaii. I am afraid the humidity there would not be good for them, and I really can't afford to ship them. I am really torn about what I am going to do!

Last edited by Jakaby; 11-18-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:14 PM

I have 6 vintage Singers - a 66-6 (my grandmothers 1937); a Singer 99 (1953 from a flea market) $55.00 which my DH turned into a hand crank with the help of Jenny at Sew-Classic (I told the DH I needed it if there was a power outage during a big project LOL); a 221 which is a Featherweight 1955 purchased on ebay $180; a 301 purchased at a garage sale for $20.00 including the cabinet, stool and a box of "stuff"; a 301a purchased on ebay $125.00; and my last one on ebay which is a 99 - 1923 in a coffin case for $127. So you can see, I don't have a huge amount of money involved although I have purchased belts, feet, etc for them. They all work beautifully and are stocked with different colors of thread and when I am piecing, they are all at the ready to work for me instantly. The stitch and scant 1/4" seam is the same on all of them. They are quiet, dependable, sew a beautiful stitch and the maintenance on them is a breeze. They are so solid and dependable.

Last edited by QuiltingHaven; 11-18-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:22 PM

they're fun. i have my ex's grandmothers treadle. works great. keeping it for our son when he's grown. i saw an old singer yesterday with the wooden coffin looking top. the machine had some egyptian looking decals on it. they only wanted 50$ for it. wish i had room for it. wish i'd got the serial # so i could look it up.