Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for those of you with antique sewing machines >

Question for those of you with antique sewing machines

Question for those of you with antique sewing machines

Old 04-17-2010, 04:30 PM

If you want to drool over a machine, take a look at this one. I was intrigued with the talk of hand cranked and found it on Ebay. I am not buying it, but wow, it is a work of art.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GERMAN-HAND-CRAN...86995333910798

I have never seen anything so beautiful.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Pam

That is one gorgeous machine, wish I could.....
Old 04-17-2010, 05:36 PM

reading about thread jams in 221s. just teach yourself to
NEVER turn the wheel backward, just towards you. hold the tails when you start sewing. It's the sound of the vintage
machines that I like. soothing,a well-tuned machine at work.
my Bernina (that I really love) is now used only for zig-zag, etc. I do miss the neeedle-down and knee-lifter. I have a 1947 model 201. just clean them, oil them. you can take care of almost any repair yourself (because there aren't many).if you ever see one, get it, you won't be sorry. they can be had for $50-200.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by collector49
I have numerous "old" Singer machines. I sew on a 1947 Singer 201K handcrank, and have two 201K aluminum handcranks to take to classes. I also have numerous other handcranks and a few electric. They are addictive. You can't beat their precise stitches, they're beautiful to look at, sound wonderful while stitching. When my grandchildren come to visit, they love to sew on my machine. And they are easy to maintain.
What's the draw? Everything about them.

Barb
I know about treadle singers,I have one and learned to sew on one but I wonder about the handcranks. How do you use them? Do you have to turn it all the time?
Old 04-17-2010, 05:55 PM

raptureready, I just loved your little story, it made me happy! even if it wasn't true. I can just see her, sitting in her cabin stitchin away!
Old 04-17-2010, 05:55 PM

raptureready, I just loved your little story, it made me happy! even if it wasn't true. I can just see her, sitting in her cabin stitchin away!
Old 04-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Katia
If you want to drool over a machine, take a look at this one. I was intrigued with the talk of hand cranked and found it on Ebay. I am not buying it, but wow, it is a work of art.
I have never seen anything so beautiful.
I have heard of this guy. A real good friend of mine knows him well. He was stationed in Europe and in the military you are allowed so much stuff to send back at certain times. He would fill a cargo container full of machines and ship them back home. He has some really nice machines and last year he had 3000 of them for auction in the same auction. I am not sure if they sold but if your into vintage machines you already know this guy!!

Billy
Old 04-17-2010, 06:46 PM

I learned to sew on a Singer Treadle 48 yrs. ago, my mom's. I bought one from a neighbor 25 yrs ago. It is a Singer Red Oak with 6 drawers and I love it. It sews better than any of my other three newer machines. I have several antiques but his is by far my most prized. It sews beautifully and straight and probably never wear out, it is so well made, all metal parts. I am able to get parts from ebay and other websites.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by dungeonquilts
I have enjoyed reading what everyone has to say about Antique sewing machines. I am cleaning out an Estate that has a very old singer in a case, none of the family members want it. Will have to do some research on the machine and post (with picture) if someone is interested in having.
Oh, can't wait to see the pictures! I'm always looking to add to my collection. :)
Old 04-17-2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Aurora
I had purchased a new Singer and hated it. Then purchased a 301A, attached the seam guide to it and VIOLA! I am in perfect seam heaven. Just finished my first quilt top while I was on a retreat. All my seams were perfect (okay, one was off a little), but every quilt needs at least one imperfection. We were making them for Hospice. Here is a photo of it that my Extension Agent took with her phone. I am somewhat proud, but it had to go to its new forever home. This photo was taken before I addded the border which was the dark color.
Such a BEAUTY! Nicely done!! Congratulations. And what a beautiful thing to be making quilts for hospice. They bring such comfort and warmth to those truly in need. God bless you for your kindness and hard work.