Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for those of you with antique sewing machines >

Question for those of you with antique sewing machines

Question for those of you with antique sewing machines

Old 04-17-2010, 06:13 AM

Hi, I'm from Lake in Scott County near you. I have about 21 machines, some hand crank, some treadle, some straight stitch. I'd be thrilled for you to come and try one out. The STITCH is incredible but the history behind each machine is part of the draw. They are fun to sew on.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:40 AM

I had purchased a new Singer and hated it. Then purchased a 301A, attached the seam guide to it and VIOLA! I am in perfect seam heaven. Just finished my first quilt top while I was on a retreat. All my seams were perfect (okay, one was off a little), but every quilt needs at least one imperfection. We were making them for Hospice. Here is a photo of it that my Extension Agent took with her phone. I am somewhat proud, but it had to go to its new forever home. This photo was taken before I addded the border which was the dark color.

Rail Fence
[ATTACH=CONFIG]63326[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-63321.jpe  
Old 04-17-2010, 06:51 AM
Banned

Gorgeous!!!!

Billy
Old 04-17-2010, 10:17 AM

I learned to sew on a Singer treadle machine that was my grandmother's originally. I just bought my Featherweight 221 the other day and am waiting for delivery. Meanwhile I am sewing on my daughter's featherweight which used to be my MIL's. We gave it to her years ago. It purrs like a kitten and I love the feel of the way the fabric goes through and the wonderful straight stitches.
I do own a Kenmore and a Brother both of which need to go to the repair shop. I am kind of disgusted with the newer machines like the ones I have and refuse to pay the price (plus I really can't afford it) of the newest ones on the market, like Pfaff, Bernina etc.
I hear from another lady on this board that her featherweight is the only machine she has and she does great things with it!
Originally Posted by Maride
I learned to sew in an old Singer and had not heard the humming again on a machine until I got my Featherweight. It brought me back memories of my grandmother sewing on it.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:48 AM

When I realized that I am hooked on quilting I decided I needed a better machine. I tried several Pfaffs at my LQS. Then my daughter-in-law who is a seamstress told me about Featherweights. Fortunately the city I live in has a sewing center owned by a Singer expert. He had several Featherweights and I bought one parts, case and all. It honestly looks brand new and I LOVE IT. Wouldn't think of using anything else right now.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:21 AM

I really MUST get my featherweight out of the loft and try it - I am really intrigued now!! Sounds fabulous!!!
Old 04-17-2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
I learned to sew in an old Singer and had not heard the humming again on a machine until I got my Featherweight. It brought me back memories of my grandmother sewing on it.
I learned to sew on a singer treadle sewing machine. I wish I still had it. Of course this was a fewwwwwwww years ago, and was my MOms machine..
Old 04-17-2010, 03:44 PM

I have a 1950 Featherweight 221 that belonged to my great aunt & also was the machine my mother learned to sew on. My mother "lent" it to me in college & I never returned it! It moved with me numerous times & I still like to piece on it. I recently bought a 1928 Singer treadle machine, mainly to go in a nice Singer treadle cabinet that I "rescued" from the basement of my condo building a decade ago. I only bought the machine because it was pretty & was hoping it would fit in the cabinet (I currently have an Elgin , unknown vintage, sitting in there, but it doesn't really fit in the cabinet). Apparently the machine I purchased on ebay, sews, & it came with the bobbin case so if I ever get it in the cabinet, I'm going to try it out. Reading all of your posts, makes me want to try & see if I'm able to sew with it!
Old 04-17-2010, 04:10 PM

Part of my inheritance from my mother's estate was her 1950's Singer fetherweight. It sews like a dream. She bought it so she could make my baby dresses and the like. However, the baby girl turned out to be a boy! Surprise! The machine still works although occasionally it gets a thread lock. Years ago when mom took the machine in for repair with a threadlock, the repairman told her this is normal for Singer featherweights because they are so precision made. I work on it from time to time and eventually work the thread lock out. Works great and I would never trade it for a new machine ever. These machines were built to last for over a hundred years or more. I'm 58 now so plan on using my featherweight till I'm 108. Have been quiting for over 10 years and plan on many more. I show 2 new quilts every fall at our annual library quilt show.

Shirley's Memory Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]63727[/ATTACH]

Kody's 2009 Graduation Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]63728[/ATTACH]

Mable's Memory Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]63729[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-63722.jpe   attachment-63723.jpe   attachment-63724.jpe  
Old 04-17-2010, 04:23 PM

I've been reading everyone's stories and am loving them. While kicking myself right in the butt. Years before I started quilting I bought a Featherweight 221 for $80 just to have as a decoration because it was so beautiful. Well, long story short, I was broke and had to move and sold it for $20. I never used it, but boy do I wish now that I would have held onto it.