Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on today's Sewing with Nancy episode >

Question on today's Sewing with Nancy episode

Question on today's Sewing with Nancy episode

Old 12-21-2013, 07:30 AM

Default Question on today's Sewing with Nancy episode

I just finished watching today's Sewing with Nancy episode--Stress Free Quilting with Machine Embroidery. What do you do with the stabilizer when the block is done, I'm assuming you must remove it. Does anyone know if these designs are built-in or they designed them? I felt like I came into the middle of an episode although I watched it from the beginning. Guessing maybe this was a second part or something. I was really impressed by how precise the points were. It's essentially paper-piecing on an embroidery machine from the looks of it.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

Sorry, it is the midmorning time slot out on the west coast......
Old 12-21-2013, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

it's not on our schedule at all [bummer]
however, i found parts one and two online. it asks you to sign in to view, but you can just x that closed and watch it anyway
http://video.wpt.org/video/2365133603/
http://video.wpt.org/video/2365133644/

i would say that the stabilizer should be removed, so using a tear away or wash away would work
Old 12-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

there are many different stabilizers available for machine embroidery- so, it depends on which one you choose to use- some are left in, some are 'tear away' and need to be 'torn away', some are water soluble ---you rinse them away- read the packaging, choose the one you want to use and go for it.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:44 AM

QuiltnNan, thank you for the link. The episode I watched this morning was actually the first part. I guess it just wasn't explained very well or I'm a little thick today! Actually I'm thinking the stabilizer may be left on as it was fusible. I'll watch the second episode later and see what they do. Thanks everyone!
Old 12-21-2013, 05:34 PM

You r lucky to get any crafting show sewing anything, here we have Metro Cast TV and not one good show for ppl. like me that loves sewing or crafts. When HGTV took off Carol Duvall and DIY I lost interest in that station all together, all they have now is houses how to fix them up, how to resell at profit etc. etc. I think it has become boring. My opinion with all the TV channels with mostly nothing interesting they could have one or two channels with something crafters liked. Its like we don't exist or r not worth their time to give all ppl. what they like.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:12 PM

I watched both episodes on my PBS app. The stabilizer was a lightweight fusible that is left in. The pattern and quilting were designed by someone on Nancy's staff. There is a book and DVD or computer cd that can be purchased from Nancy's Notions.
There are also other embroidery programs that do similar quilt block in the hoop assembly. Anita Gooddesign is one.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:52 AM

I do not use a stabilizer when I embroider on my quilts. You do not need one as the thickness of the quilt is a stabilizer. I have been doing this a long time.