Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on what a quilt is worth in a non quilters eyes.. >

Question on what a quilt is worth in a non quilters eyes..

Question on what a quilt is worth in a non quilters eyes..

Old 05-29-2011, 07:59 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Let's say you made two quilts.. Each quilt is a two sided quilt- pieced design on each side... One is 60x80 and second is 80x100. Over 150 hours were put into it.. The cost for the fabric batting thread and mid arm quilting comes to $350.. I am not a 'excellent' quilter - the quilt itself looks great; point match, even, mitering looks really good, quilting is awesome but my binding isn't as perfect as I like it. no major or minor oopsie's.. Soooooo....

Knowing all this what would you charge for the two quilts? I'm not looking to get rich but I don't want to sell my time short either ... But I do want it to be fair for both parties.. Seriously knowing I put $350 in 'products' would you pay that for two quilts let alone more for my time invested even at $1 hr?!?!??
Old 05-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Boy that's a good question and I don't know how to answer it. I do know that non-quilters have no idea what it takes to make a quilt. In their eyes we can make a quilt for 20 to 30 bucks but we know better. Whatever you decide to do don't sell them for less then what you put into them.
Maybe somebody will have an answer for you.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:16 PM

I am unsure if this is an answer but I wanted to share this. My ex and his wife wanted me to make them some quillows when they heard I was making my boys quilts for Christmas. Well I sent them shopping for fabric, told them what they would need, if they purchased it I would make it. They went to walmart and looked over the fabric there and decided right now is not the time it was to expensive. So now when someone asks me to make them a quilt I send them shopping. It has helped a lot to open the non quilters eyes to at least some of the cost.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:25 PM

That is hard to do. I have tried figuring out an amount per sq.inch and it seems to work good for me. I multiply the measurements to get sq inches and then tried different numbers, mine works out to .06cents/sq inch. I have tried it on different sizes and come to an amount I would be happy with.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:34 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by sammygirlqt
That is hard to do. I have tried figuring out an amount per sq.inch and it seems to work good for me. I multiply the measurements to get sq inches and then tried different numbers, mine works out to .06cents/sq inch. I have tried it on different sizes and come to an amount I would be happy with.
Hmmm that would make the small quilt- $288. Wow more than I was even considering. hmmm.. Seriously, does any non quilters really actually pay that much??
Old 05-29-2011, 09:48 PM

I think most of the problem with some non quilters is the fact that they see the quilts in a store catalogue, mass produced at relative inexpensive prices.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:51 PM

If the funds were in my possession and I requested all the work done by you including you providing the fabrics with me choosing the colors and prints & with the dimensions you mentioned, then the itemization cost would tally to $300 for the smaller quilt, and $375 for the larger size.

At this moment I am making (2) identical quilts at 55" x 55" square; using my fabrics, thread, labor, quilting, finishing, and imagination; then my pricing (and ....discounting because this is a relative of mine) will amount to $125.00 for both quilts. But she bought the batting and the backing fabric, and I have chosen not to use her bad choice of backing.

I know that I am underselling myself, but she is a close relative. The actual pricing per quilt at this size would have been $125.00 a piece, but she's getting two for the price of one because she is related to me.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:55 PM

I like the sq. in. idea! If you're going to sell them you have to make sure you're selling to the right people. I know I've paid good amount of money for a quilt. If you sell at craft fairs, or in crafty places people are more willing to pay that kind of money then say, at a roadside stand, or on ebay or craigslist!
Old 05-29-2011, 10:01 PM

Lubtooquilt...i would not consider even less than that. I don't really have to remind of the hours and concentration we put in these quilts and for Godness sake they ARE HAND MADE EVERY PIECE OF IT.yes please be fair to yourself.
Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
Originally Posted by sammygirlqt
Hmmm that would make the small quilt- $288. Wow more than I was even considering. hmmm.. Seriously, does any non quilters really actually pay that much??
Old 05-29-2011, 10:44 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Two posts on the board about this.

My original post months ago:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-62845-1.htm

Second one just in the past few days:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-125917-1.htm

Jan in VA