Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: A question for you crumb users

I use 1 1/2" strips for my log cabin blocks; my very favorite type of scrap quilt.
    You can see them on this page of my webshots.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562396634NVWSUO
    Sharon

There's a woman in my guild that uses strips to create blocks in a circular pattern and the finished width of the strips are only about 1/16th of an inch wide. Yes, that's 1/16th of an inch. So the strips she uses are about 1/2 in wide and then she cuts down the seam allowance to reduce bulk as well. She calls the scraps "Kibbles and Bits" that she uses. Nothing is too small for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Janice Maroni
    love the scrappy look!
    love that car with those quilts! (your avatar)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mlaceruby
    But they are fun!
    and I make some very nice things with them!
    That is a very nice quilt, never thought of crumbs in a pinwheel, neat idea!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

My scraps and crumbs cost the same $7-10 a yard as the big pieces, and that makes it hard to dump them. When I get too many or realize that I'll never get to them, I offer them here for free. In 5 minutes you get more takers than you could possibly imagine. I'm always surprised that a scrap or crumb quilt doesn't seem to make the pile of little pieces go down very much.

Well I have a bin of crumbs if anyone wants them. They are actually fairly large ( like 2x3 etc) but could be cut down for those people who like to drive themselves crazy with all those itsy pieces:)

Now, I'm inspired to start saving my "crumbs". I had heard of them before, but had them pictured as being much smaller and wondered how one would work with them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mlaceruby
    But they are fun!
    and I make some very nice things with them!
    Thank you for sharing this pic, I didn't have a very good idea what y'all were talking about. It sounds like fun but not for me, maybe I will start saving my scraps and crumbs and will send them to someone here.

Blog Entries
    Hi. This is my first post. I've been quilting for ever but have never heard of "crumbs". It sounds awesome. Can I have more details please. I am from Perth in Western Australia.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Craftygirl
    Hi. This is my first post. I've been quilting for ever but have never heard of "crumbs". It sounds awesome. Can I have more details please. I am from Perth in Western Australia.
    Go to the top of the page and find the search link above. Click on that. Then type in Crumbs and you will get alot of threads that will give you all sorts of information.

There are tutorials on how to make crumb blocks. My version I call confusion. You can search for that also if you like.

Blog Entries
    Thanks heaps. That tute was fantastic. I knew there was a reason I keep EVERYTHING. Now I just need to learn to navigate around this site and all that spare time I don't have will be take care of.

love the pictures.The quilts are pretty, I can't wait to do a pin wheel now. But I challenge myself to finish what I am doing at the time before I can move on, So I don't have UFOS I don't get back to cause I lose interest then. I save everything. I don't have enough for a crumb yet but they are collecting up fast. Right noe I am sewing 1 1/2 x 2 inch scraps for a scrappy quilt. I am trying the brown bag method. I also save thread So I can make thread bowls, but I don't waste much with using feeders so that is going to take a while to collect.

Love the pin wheel. I will have to start one of them.

Blog Entries
    Very nice, Michele. I can't wait until I get enought scraps/crumbs to do my own!

I've never heard the term "crumbs" before. After reading for a while, I realized I have lots of them, mostly pieces from trimming half-square triangles. Toddlers love the play with them. My one grand-niece throws them up over her head to watch them fall around her. Pure enjoyment. She even puts them back in their containers. I have about 8 but don't always give them all to her at once. Maybe I'll make a quilt out of them for her. Glad I joined this site. I am learning continusly.

Blog Entries
    MegsAnn: That is fantastic!

Blog Entries
    Beautiful crumb quilt. I love it. You just gave me an idea!

Crumbs are just fun! I agree with those of you who mentioned using every scrap (and getting your moneys worth)!

The easy thing about a crumb block is that it can be easily done when you are tired and don't want to/can't concentrate...at least this is the case with the crumb wall hanging I made! I plan to do more.

Wow MegsAnn, your squares are incredible!!

If ou are concerned about how much thread it takes to make crumb blocks, use up the odd scraps left on your bobbins, small amounts left on spools. They need to be used up too and color just doesn't matter since all the thread is on the back. Love crumb blocks!

Quote Originally Posted by lclang
    If ou are concerned about how much thread it takes to make crumb blocks, use up the odd scraps left on your bobbins, small amounts left on spools. They need to be used up too and color just doesn't matter since all the thread is on the back. Love crumb blocks!
    A VERY GOOD idea!

Great idea, I may give these crumbs a chance after all. Some of the pics shared are very pretty.

Blog Entries
    Here are some of my Confusion ( my version of crumbs) pictures

In the last hotpad you can tell my seams are not all straight but in this it doesn't matter if they are straight or not. As long as you can iron it flat with out any overlapping it is good! It is very forgiving and there is no math other than deciding how big you want to make it. It is fun and addicting!

Checkbook cover
    Name:  Attachment-97839.jpe
Views: 24
Size:  26.6 KB

Some Valentine hearts I did with Confusion( my version of crumbs)
    Name:  Attachment-97840.jpe
Views: 24
Size:  43.4 KB

a few more hearts
    Name:  Attachment-97841.jpe
Views: 23
Size:  202.8 KB

2 1/2" finished squares used as mini quilts
    Name:  Attachment-97842.bmp
Views: 27
Size:  68.3 KB