Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: A question for you crumb users

Quote Originally Posted by MegsAnn
    Here's a pic for you guys of my crumbs quilt in progress. Each block is 4 inches.
    Once a month I empty my scrap box and sew every crumb & scrap randomly into hunks of yardage-pieces are under 6" odd shapes to be later used in a template shape for crazy quilting or reverse applique. This is a great project to do while watching TV or even letting the kids sew. You can create some colorful works of art that are completly orginal. Don't throw it away, use it. Moosegirl

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    since the crumbs are sewn into blocks, then into quilts where is the waste? you talk about wasted thread...i don't understand, no matter what size pieces we sew together it takes thread, i don't think i'm wasting any by sewing pieces of fabric together, i am simply using it for what it was made for. thread is only wasted if it is thrown in the garbage.
    DITTOES!

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
    Here are some blocks I've done with crumbs. As you can see, some of my "crumbs" are pretty big. Just depends on how patient I feel on a given day.

The square in a square blocks are actually done crazy quilt style, on a foundation of ugly fabric, but you could do it with crumbs.

The blue block was made after I made a miniature sampler with blue and white, and wanted to get rid of most of the small bits that were leftover.
    Good job, Butterflyblue!
    And, the samples you included added to the truth of what you were sharing.
    As far as ugly fabric, (which is a good thing to use) I use really old thin sheets and curtains and shirts ... whatever would never stand alone in a quilt but absolutely works for foundation/string piecing.
    And, another thing about ugly fabric. I have to go with Quiltville.com - - Bonnie Hunter. If it is still ugly, you just haven't cut it small enough ;-)
    and, I have found that scraps change when exposed to air. As long as I never open the container, they are neatly stored and confined. but as SOON as I start sewing them together - - it's the air, I am sure! LOL

I've just decided that I'm doing the crumb (or is it string)quilting and didn't even know it. I'm sewing strips together (1 1/2 in. strips) and when I get it sewn together, it comes out to 1 inch squares. String piecing?

I'm going to try to post a photo of my block.

Just comparing an 18 in. block to the 9 inch one
    Name:  Attachment-98581.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  98.6 KB

I really thought crumb quilts were just so not for me.
    But then, I looked at some that you all have done, they are beautiful. You've made me a believer.
    I have some large square see-thru plastic containers that animal crackers came in from Sam's club, I started dropping what I would call "crumbs" into these just because they looked pretty.
    I guess I must have been thinking crumb quilts in my sub-conscious.

Quote Originally Posted by Derla
    Beautiful work on your crumb block! Don't think I would have the patience tho!!!

Derla, your block is lovely!! Great job.

I like to combine crumb blocks with mahcine embroidery blocks or fussy cutting other fabrics. I have an embroidery that says, "When life gives you scraps, make quilts!" I put that in the center of a row of the crumb blocks and it turned out really cute. Also like to make baby quilts out of the bright colored crumbs and then fussy cut some nursery print for the alternate blocks. Looks like you worked like crazy to put it all together and they are really pretty and budget friendly too.

Derla, That is sure a great way to use up scraps. It or they look great well done. I would like to try it but have too many others to do first. By that time I will need to do something with those last little bits.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    I do miniatures so I can use anything down to a 3/4" size scrap. So don't throw your scraps away let someone else have them that will use them!!
    I am with you Rhonda, I even use smaller pieces for applique. So please don't throw anything away, there are a lot of us that would take them off your hands. I can't afford postage, but alot of the ladies can. God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by trif
    What beautiful pinwheels, ok so I now understand how you can be addicted, I'm just not sure I can manage using material smaller than an inch. But it sounds like it would be worth trying. So I will save my crumbs and give it a try. I will let you know if you end up with a new crumb addict or a crumb donator. I'm making a paper piece project now which is generating numerous crumbs. That's what got me thinking and yes I have been saving all those crazy "little" pieces. I'd love to see another crumb quilt if anyone can post a pic. The pinwheels were so cute.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-28177-1.htm
    Type in scrap quilts (in search) and you will find lots of them.
    This is the thread I started with a picture right at the top. Not hard to use tiny pieces when they actually started out as part of something bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by MegsAnn
    Here's a pic for you guys of my crumbs quilt in progress. Each block is 4 inches.
    MARVELOUS! So bright and cheery!

Quote Originally Posted by Derla
    How fun!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    I'm winding down from making 5" crumb blocks now.
    They are addicting - I don't know HOW to stop...there's so much more fabric scraps in my bins! LOL

My Blocks vary in the sizes of the pieces they contain. Some 5" blocks have lots of little pieces (I must have been really creative) and others only have 5 wider pieces (must have been tired).

I've kept the pieces that are too small for me in another bin. I have other things to work on now :)
    They sure are addicting! I have a whole stack of crumb blocks that I have to use and I'm sure I will make more.

8-)

Quote Originally Posted by mlaceruby
    But they are fun!
    and I make some very nice things with them!
    Mlaceruby, that 's a great idea! I can do something like that with my crumbs! Now, I'm excited about what to do with my crumb blocks. Thank you for posting your pictures. 8-)

I like to make a some crumb blocks from each quilt I make. Haven't made enough yet for a quilt, but it will be very scrappy when I get enough, and I like scrappy !

Power Poster
    I love some of the pictures I have seen but I've never tried it.

This is what I do when I don't have a particular project in mind. I spread a bunch of crumbs on a piece of scrap batting, add a large scrap of fabric to the back, and practice my free motion quilting with partial spools of thread. I cut out circles, applique some fussy cut flowers, and zigzag the edges. Ouila! Coasters.

[IMG]http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...ted/aug016.jpg[/IMG]

Blog Entries
    Oh my goodness! What a cool idea and not so intimidating as the huge bags of scraps lurking in the closet. I thank you for sharing this idea and the picture which really helps!

Those coasters are so adorable! And so practical.

I'm another one that does miniatures, so for me they aren't "crumbs" they are the size I want! I also do paper piecing, so I use a lot of tiny pieces that way too!

just got my box of crumbs from Carmen & I am thrilled!!

Barb, love the coasters. I think I will try the method for pot holders. Thanks!

mlaceruby - thanks for the pinwheel idea. I tried it and while I think the pinwheels on black aren't as pretty as yours, I do like how they look!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5