Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A question for you crumb users >

A question for you crumb users

A question for you crumb users

Old 08-15-2010, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Crumb quilting is a Crazy Quilt technique. I call my version Confusion. It is a form of quilting that has been handed down through the generations. We have just found a way to make the crazy patch without a backing to sew the pieces to.

Yes it is worth it. It is an art form that I enjoy. It isn't all about going green but it is an expression of creativity first and foremost. Each one of the blocks are unique and the finished project has a charm that can't be duplicated.

They are easy to make. You just lay two pieces of fabric together face to face and sew together. Trim a straight edge and add another swatch of fabric. It is a free form don't have to measure exersize that is fun to do! When you are done just cut a square out of the fabric you just created and use it for whatever you are making.

It is so easy I taught a 9 yr old to do it and she made a pillow out of hers and won a ribbon at the local fair.
I also used it for my twin grandsons first foray into quilting. They are 6. They loved it and it was so easy for them to do.
I see that you have postings quite often, I didn't know what crumb quilting was till I opened this thread, I would have probably blissfully just pieced the pieces without a backing anyway, but what do you do, and if you use a backing then what do you use?
:) :)
Old 08-15-2010, 06:01 AM

I really like your quilt. Who would guess that it was just bits. :)
Old 08-15-2010, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

Aw, great quilts you guys!!!!!!!!! Guess I should be saving my itty bitty pieces!
Old 08-15-2010, 07:17 AM

I know that beautiful things can come from others "trash", it's just not something I do. I think artists are the most creatively minded people (I consider quilting to be an art). I just don't have it in me to really sit down and shift through the crumbs-although I have noticed I have been saving more scraps than before. I've also been known to dig out crumbs from the trash to complete blocks-when it's the only fabric pieces-I've been known to be creative and frugal.
I see quilting, crafts and art all the same way-you take it or leave it, but never judge someone else's craft by your standards( I don't always understand abstracts) Smile at the gifts you have!
Old 08-15-2010, 07:19 AM

Thread is cheaper than fabric :)
Old 08-15-2010, 08:16 AM

That quilt is just beautiful. I have only made a few practice blocks with my crumbs and I'm not convinced, but that quilt may have just inspired me to try again.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:22 AM

Mlaceruby, how incredible! It's hard to imagine that great quilt being in the garbage can. If that's a waste of thread, I'm all for it. Makes me give by scraps another look.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:33 AM

I use those tiny pieces in paper piecing. Almost nothing is too small for that. I'm not up for sewing them together to make blocks though.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
Well, if I paid for the whole yard, I'm gonna USE the whole yard! Or, pretty close to it. I'd say smaller than a 1" square it's gonna get lost in the fuzz bag. And as for the wasted thread...I've found if I wanna sew, but don't have a project in mind sewing crumbs-strings-scraps feeds the need without doing too much damage. :D
lol...this is the way I feel. Practically nothing goes to waste at the MouseHouse! If it's too small to wrap my mousie paws around it will go into the 'stuffing bin' and will be added to scraps of batting etc. and cut threads to stuff pillows.
Don't forget, if you use Rhonda's methods, you can use up so mighty small scraps :thumbup:
Old 08-15-2010, 09:56 AM

This is a new topic for me. I am not familar with 'crumbs'.
Why are these not just considered scraps? It must have something to do with all the 'new' terms relating our fabric to food. LOL
Since the pieces are small scraps I suppose there is no concern about bias edges stretching? Or bias edges on the outside of a block? Learn something new here everyday. :)