Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about Dresden Plate Quilt >

Questions about Dresden Plate Quilt

Questions about Dresden Plate Quilt

Old 01-01-2011, 09:48 AM

I picked up a Dresden Plate template and have started cutting and sewing together the wedges.

My questions are:

What is the traditional method of assembling the quilt top; are the "plates" appliqued onto a single piece of muslin or other fabric for the whole top, or are they sewn onto blocks and then the blocks are joined? If so, is sashing also typical?

Does anyone know of a good web site to look at some examples?

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2011, 09:51 AM

When i was looking for ideas of finishing the Grandma's Flower Garden i am working on, i just googled "images dresden plate quilts" or just "dresen plate quilts" and you can see all kinds of ideas.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:54 AM

it won't let me copy the picture...but here's a link to a pretty one - and different from what you might normally see...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2687356...@N21/lightbox/
Old 01-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Banned

Traditionally the wedges are pieced together to form a circle then appliqued to a square block of muslin. In order to do this you need to stop your piecing at least 1/8 _ 1/4 inch from the outside edge. This allows you to turn under at the seams. Some traditional blocks simply turn under the inside circle and applique to the background and others applique a circle on top of the center, usually yellow. Most of the old quilts I have seen have been assembled with sashing.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by 117becca
it won't let me copy the picture...but here's a link to a pretty one - and different from what you might normally see...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2687356...@N21/lightbox/
I LOVE the quilting on that one! I'll be saving this link for when it's time to FMQ it for sure.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

I just appliqued mine to backing. I used sashing strips between the blocks.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Banned

Since your original question was concerning traditional methods:
The block was originally referred to as Friendship Ring. I havent seen one constructed of fabrics from the 1800s or early 1900s and the earliest published pattern that I can find is in the early 1930s. The one in the link above with the pointed petals is called Aster also published in the 30s. There was one more variation that was publishef as both Friendship Circle and Dresden Plate that has four pointed petals between sets of four rounded petals. It also has a center constructed of four melon shapes leaving a center diamond shape open. Similar to the double wedding ring centers.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:18 AM

Hi. To offer in answer to you. For years I made mine exactly like the others. Then I stepped out of my box. I did not have funds nor the muslin. So quickly I went through my stash,found a lot of small print lighter materials. Yes, they worked great and I love useing my stash, and stepping out of the box can be fun. Some I have set with sashing ,but I prefer setting them side to side. Marvel
Old 01-01-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by JCquilts
Since your original question was concerning traditional methods:
The block was originally referred to as Friendship Ring. I havent seen one constructed of fabrics from the 1800s or early 1900s and the earliest published pattern that I can find is in the early 1930s. The one in the link above with the pointed petals is called Aster also published in the 30s. There was one more variation that was publishef as both Friendship Circle and Dresden Plate that has four pointed petals between sets of four rounded petals. It also has a center constructed of four melon shapes leaving a center diamond shape open. Similar to the double wedding ring centers.
Very interesting indeed! I mine will be an "Aster" since the petals are pointed.

Thank you. :thumbup:
Old 01-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

I sewed mine onto blocks and added sashing. I have seen it the other way too though. Looks like you get to decide. Personally, I would find it tough to manhandle a large top all at once to applique the pieces to. But that's me....